PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-27-2018, 01:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik

Time to start a new model. Actually one I already had on my building pile for a couple of years: Orlik's Hawker Hurricane Mk IID. This was not the famous Battle of Britain version but a Hurricane that was fitted as a tank buster with two large cannons underneath the wings. It saw service in northern Africa in 1942 and has desert camo.

The model consists of 3 A3 pages plus clear instruction drawings. The written instructions in Polish are not really required, although an English translation is available that can be downloaded from Orlik's website. The print looks attractive, with 3D effects and weathering. As far as I know, no laser cuts available but probably also not really required.

Altogether some 400 parts, which should allow a slow builder like me to finish the model in a reasonable time span.

Some of the structural parts need to be glued on 1mm thick cardboard according to the instructions. It' s my experience to use slightly thinner board instead, 0.8-0.9 mm would therefore do better.

Alright, the first parts have been glued on board and cut out. The instrument panel has a transparent part sandwiched in between as if it were glass and the magnetic compass is also in place. Easier to have these parts already fitted before assembling the cockpit structure.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9262.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9263.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9264.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9286.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9287.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-27-2018, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.05 GB
good choice ,well designed and beautifully camouflaged ,have fun ...
A-7 olympus
Old 12-27-2018, 11:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
good start Erik.

but what about the big German bomber.....did you finish it?

YOAV
Old 12-28-2018, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Most peeps like the Spitty but I have always had a soft spot for Hurrys. They are just so purposeful. Really looking forward to watching this develop.

Any of you budding young repainters up to redoing Nobi's Hurri in desert? It would need its nose extended a bit too.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Cockpit Chronicles

Dear Paper Modelers, first of all a Happy New Year to all of you!!

Thank you Michael, Yoav and asaf, welcome on board.

@Yoav: The Ju-88 project has been suspended - it's a complicated model and it simply took me too much time given the extremely busy and stressful year at work. To balance it off, I needed to work on less complicated models, otherwise I loose focus I'm afraid. It will continue one day.

@Michael: For me the Hurricane somehow also has appealed more than the Spitfire, as a boy I always used to draw Hurricanes in dog fights with Me109s .

Ok, the build continues with the cockpit. Part of the internal structure is shown, which alternatively can be built from small rods instead of the paper version. I used plastic rods for this purpose, thereby using the template provided in the kit. Then painted them with Tamiya cockpit green. A bit of trimming is required of the horizontal top bar at the cockpit rear baffle as it's a bit too long.

When constructing the cockpit I initially installed the baffle/former behind the cockpit seat but removed it later on in order to be able to have better access to install the cockpit details and for easier installation of the pilot's seat. So don't compile the entire cockpit frames and formers (which comprise part 1) at once.

In parallel to the Orlik kit I had bought the Kartonowa Kolekcja Hurricane, a Mk I. The kits look similar but do have differences in construction and for instance, in the level of cockpit detail. Here and there I'm using details of the KK version in the cockpit and also use internet pictures as reference, especially since I intend to have the cockpit door in open position.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9290.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9291.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9292.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9293.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9294.jpg  

1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9289.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9295.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9296.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9321.jpg   1:33 Hawker Hurricane Mk IID, Orlik-img_9340.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2019, 07:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It is always a pleasure to see your exceptionally precise craftsmanship, Erik.

I, too, have always thought the Hurricane to be a good-looking airplane.

Don
Old 01-02-2019, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
One of the many joys of following these big scale builds is (assuming they're accurate) is seeing what the cockpit of the full size subject looked like.

Garry G.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Looking forward to following your build. I always thought of the Hurricane more of a "Canadian" plane than the Spitfire with so many (including Sea Hurricanes) built in Fort William.

Also, Canadian built variant RAF serial airframe AM270 was completed around early March 1942 to Dutch standards, including US built Merlin, instruments and gun sight, as the prototype of an order for the Netherlands East Indies (KM/KNIL) and given the Dutch serial HC3-287.

Regards,
John
Old 01-03-2019, 10:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.04 MB
Another masterpiece is going to see the light here!
Great work so far - as always - Erik!

In the instrument panel close-up photo it seems that the glass surface in front of dials is slightly "bulged" like if the transparent sheet was shaped from behind with some round object. Is that true or it's only an illusion effect of the printed dials behind glass?

It appears very realistic anyway...
Old 01-03-2019, 12:10 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Erik - great work and a nice choice.

The artwork looks great on the kit - the finished result will be impressive.

Do you varnish the pages before you start?

Tags
1:33, hawker hurricane, orlik