PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-04-2019, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Interesting. I have never seen a winter camo on a Brit bird to the best of my knowledge.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
A nice 'what if' PK.

As you say, the engines were the let-down on the Whirlwind. It was, however a very successful ground attack type with the four grouped 20mm cannon being able to deliver a devastating punch- usually against locomotives and also E-boats. Pilots of the only three RAF squadrons that used it were generally pleased with it.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Another nicely done Whirlwind, PK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Interesting. I have never seen a winter camo on a Brit bird to the best of my knowledge.
Just like me. According to my knowledge the only countries that used winter camo in WWII on aircraft were Germany and Russia (maybe Finland and France too but I'm not sure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Kacper thinks tubby things like TBF's & TBD's are pretty. Go figure!!
That was quite funny, Michael. You certainly know how to put a smile on someone's face.
I've never said TBFs are pretty. They're just important to me due their huge involvement in Pacific War. TBD Devastators are indeed beautiful planes and one of my favorites as well. But it's just a matter of taste.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 61.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Question of taste I guess. Not all tubbies are ugly though. I like the Polikarpov I16 a lot. And the GeeBee R1 racer also has a certain je ne sais quoi. (-:
It ís a matter of taste PK, very well indeed. To my opinion it is a kind of feeling you experience looking at an aeroplane in particular.
Something to do with feminine curves gentlemen ?
I think the same kind of feeling you get when looking at one painting or the other.
These thoughts are carrying me back to june 2010 when I saw the late Serge Stone's painting of his Whirlwind.
From that very moment on we were mail-friends and I learned that he was not only a very talented aircraft-painter/illustrator
(take a look at the NMM) but skillfully drew and built paper models as we all know them.

End of February '14, now suffering from pain in the throat, he wrote : "the bastard is back again".
The 10th of March '14, all of a sudden, he was gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-samen-met-bernhard.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-whirlwind.jpg  
Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Gerard, Sorry, I kind of should have linked to Serge's work beforehand. I know it belongs to the story of this particular model. Here are some of Serge's paintings in the National Military Museum in Soesterberg. He really was a great artist. (PS. click on a painting, then after the new page has loaded, click on the little + on screen to reveal the full picture. I especially love the Harvard. Spectacular positioning.)

And yes, as you all might know by now, I love myself a What-if once in a while. I'll have to create a nice smaller-sized PDF for download purposes but if you like it, I'll include this winter camo too.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Thanks for those links to Mr. Stone's art PK and Gerard. Another under-appreciated aviation artist.

Speaking of under-appreciated the Fokker C-V (among other inter-war Fokker biplanes) is a sadly neglected modelling subject. It's one I'd certainly go for- in small scale of course!
Old 02-09-2019, 10:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
BUMP! A small reprise *and* a small surprise.

This one isn't finished yet. I wanted to do one more model of the Whirly before I call it done. I often like to concentrate on just the airplane's shape. So I printed the model on grey paper and built it inside out, no propellers, just the spinners, no landing gear, no colour. Just the overall shape of the plane.
Call it a study in aesthetics. Call it artistic. Call it silly. But now it's done. And I am satisfied with how the model looks and feels.

Gerard gave me permission to share this model with you all. So I'll upload it to the download section here. If you build it, share a thought for Serge Stone, the brilliant artist who inspired Gerard to create this model.

[EDIT]; I just uploaded the files; they're awaiting approval.
Attached Thumbnails
Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120779.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120780.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120781.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120785.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120786.jpg  

Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120788.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120789.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120790.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120791.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120793.jpg  

Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120794.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120795.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120798.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120799.jpg   Westland Whirlwind fighter (Gerard Methorst) 1/72-p1120800.jpg  

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 02-09-2019 at 10:40 AM. Reason: I added an edit.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
both files have been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-10-2019, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.02 GB
Gerard's designs are works of art when the right builder assembles them.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.20 GB
Very nice model ,good job .

Tags
1/72, aircraft, gerard methorst, recolour, westland whirlwind