PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-24-2019, 01:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Self Reflections of a Paper Modeler

If there is one thing I have learned over the years is that paper can be very resilient... 99% of my ruined builds are due to trying to force the "paper" to do something it just cannot. All of my recent build have suffered from this and I did something that completely changed my state of mind when working with "paper" from now on... that is I now accept all the flaws of my builds. I realized that the most exciting thing about making something out of paper is that it's made out of paper and that it will show no matter how well the kit is designed and how experienced the builder is. I am noticing that I am able to salvage more of my builds and discovering new ways of correcting mistakes but more excitingly I no longer fuss over small inaccuracies due to design or experience. I stopped trying to "enhance" my build and put them together as intended by the designer just to appreciate their ingenuity.
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2019, 03:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.21 GB
"I stopped trying to "enhance" my build and put them together as intended by the designer just to appreciate their ingenuity."

Hmmm, Falco... I will hafta try that.

BP
Old 01-24-2019, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
I hear ya Falco. Coming over from a different media of scale modelling that seems to have reached it's zenith of 'scale perfection' it was hard for me to initially accept the limitations of paper. I mean solid colour aircraft canopies with chunky segmented curvature? Really?
Now of course I purely and simply love this hobby. Most of the people involved in it are thoroughly decent individuals who share the same passion and like myself, 'get it'.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Could not agree more. Paper modeling is a special skill set with a special result. It certainly is not "clicking" together bits of plasteeq! At least we can all strive for our best.
Live, Laff, Love...
Old 01-24-2019, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
I always try to improve, I try to do the best I can, and there is always something that is not as expected. I am not frustrated or discouraged and I am always satisfied and enjoy any model. Although I do not reach the level of so many extraordinary modelers, I try to improve but without despairing. And if I have something ugly enough, who cares? It's my work, enjoy, relax, what else can you ask for?
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
If something in kit doesn't fit,makes sense or is iffy in any way,sleep on it.Next day the same problem will likely be just a minor issue and you will get rolling.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.28 MB
I just start a new model and come back to it when I am in mood

That may bee why I have about fifteen models started right now

Lol
Old 01-24-2019, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinalssergio155 View Post
I always try to improve, I try to do the best I can, and there is always something that is not as expected. I am not frustrated or discouraged and I am always satisfied and enjoy any model. Although I do not reach the level of so many extraordinary modelers, I try to improve but without despairing. And if I have something ugly enough, who cares? It's my work, enjoy, relax, what else can you ask for?
Totally agree
Old 01-25-2019, 05:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Many good replies my friends... believe me when I say I was struggling internally to accept the faults of the kits and the mistakes I make due to my experience level. Too often I glanced over at some amazing builds here and asked myself "Why can't I build like that?!?" but no more. I embrace my limitations so that I can better learn from them.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 197.92 MB
Something I learned when building plasteeq. Use your camera to help you critique yourself as you go along. Take pictures and then look at them closely. You will be amazed by the things your camera "sees" that you eyes do not!

Try it.
Live, Laff, Love...
Google Adsense