PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Salmson-Moineau SM1 Beta Build

I'm ashamed to say that this is probably my very first build thread ever on this forum. Murph has graciously provided me with the Russian version of this kit to beta build, with the knowledge that I am a very slow builder. As it stands, this week I will be working many late hours and my weekend is already booked up, so please bear with me. I just received a new pack of cardstock that I have never tried before - Printworks 67lb., so we will see how well it works with my Canon TS9000 series inkjet printer.

The S.M.1 was a three seat French reconnaissance biplane with strong defensive armament. However the fuselage was suspended between the wings with the engin transversly mounted within the fuselage to minimize drag. Th aircraft was put in service in 1916. The nose wheel was prone to collapsing and the complex transmission was difficult to maintain in the field. Despite the poor performance, 155 aircraft were built.

My first step will be to build the jig that comes with the kit. I'm currently studying a review of the Copper State Model plastic kit to see what my approach will be to build this monster in paper. I believe that I will build this in 1/48 but haven't decided yet.
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2019, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks like a formidable project, Bob. Should be fun to watch you build this complex critter.

Fair winds for this build.

Don
Old 03-06-2019, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good luck with this project The SM1 makes a very eye-catching model. I scratch built one, many years ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Salmson-Moineau SM1 Beta Build-salmson-moineau-sm1-p4-.jpg  
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
As if there weren't enough struts they even painted more on the sides! Best of luck with this one.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:35 AM

Ricleite - amazing work. If I can build mine half as nice as yours I will be happy. I think I should get some time tonight and/or tomorrow to at least print the kit and hopefully begin the jig. My basement is very cold at this time of year so we'll see if the spray adhesive will work to attach the paper to foam core. I'm out of town Sunday and Saturday is a SWMBO day but hopefully I can make some progress on the actual model this weekend.
Google Adsense
Old 03-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
I'll be watching as well. And mine is at 1/72 that will probably be on my own thread 1/72 planes. Have done the jig and the nose of the fuselage.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 AM

Papermate is already way ahead of me. As expected, I did not get far on the kit this weekend but at least printed the kit at 77% to produce a 1/48 scale model. I will confirm the actual scale once completed, as Murph was unsure of his original scale. Papermate believes it to be 1/37 so that is what I scaled from. I did print duplicates of some pages to ensure I have enough parts when I inevitably foul up. The gear boxes are the biggest challenge. Also, I think that I will use guitar string within the struts. They provide some 'give' without causing permanent bends in the metal.