PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hi Ricardo, the "Tri-Star" shaped former looks fragile!

The formers always tend to be a bit of an issue. Sometimes they fit perfectly, sometimes they're a bit too small and sometimes they're a bit too wide. It's also my experience that you have to cut the outline away completely, so not on the line but just inside the line. In case of using laser cut formers, this doesn't automatically mean that the fit is better..... although you would expect so.

In any case, beautiful clean work!

Erik
Old 03-19-2019, 07:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
@ Erik - it is fragile! I agree 100%. We never know that if cutting inside the line is necessary. More often than not, it is. The sad thing is that the rule may not apply to all the formers of any particular kit. Right, we should expect laser cut frames to fit perfectly. If not, grrr...

The fuselage center section has a simple shape but includes both the main landing gear bays and the wing box structure. The third picture shows an assembly to better fix the landing gear legs. It is not part of the kit. The available space between the landing gear bay and the wing box is much less than desirable to get a really strong link. Well, it should hold…
Attached Thumbnails
SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c20.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c21.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c22.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c23.jpg  
Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 AM

The kit has no formers to define precisely the wing profile. The only hints are the torsion box and the contours printed on the fuselage, which is not too bad. I added some card strips and gluing tabs, as you can check on the third picture.
Attached Thumbnails
SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c24.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c25.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c26.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c27.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c28.jpg  

Old 03-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Looks like a good fit of the wings to the fuselage

Isaac
Old 03-20-2019, 11:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
great work....very smooth and very clean.

I always wondered, how do you manage to assemble the wing like this to the model, first of all stick the lower part of the wing to the model body and then fold and close the wing .... How does it come out at the end accurate ???.....craftsmanship

I always close the wing and see that it is straight and balanced and only then sticks to the body.

keep on the good work.

YOAV
Google Adsense
Old 03-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Thanks, Isaac and YOAV

@ YOAV – It is interesting that I feel so comfortable with a construction method that you find odd. Well, if we all had the same taste, it wouldn’t be fun More seriously, I always do some dry fit tests to get a precise idea of where the skin must be in relation to the structure. That’s extremely important on Halinski kits because the skin fits so tightly that it is often necessary to make minor cuts at the structure’s leading and/or trailing edges. In this kit, there is ample freedom to move the skin forward or back. The wing skin position is set on the fuselage.
The dry fit tests also serve to put the leading edge curvature precisely where it must be to get a good match of the upper and lower skin halves at the trailing edge. Adjusting the curvature is done before putting any glue. Using all-purpose glue eases the assembly because it doesn’t dry instantly. You can put glue on the bottom structure face and check/adjust the position (so that the skin closes properly) before the glue sets. It is a demanding task but, if it goes well, closing the wing is comparatively easy.
Take a close look at the picture with the “open” wing. You can check that I added L-shaped tabs to better link and align the underside skin to the fuselage. If needed, I could have done the same for the upper surface and get a larger gluing surface. In my view, it would be harder to get a strong wing/fuselage link by closing the wing skin first but that’s debatable

The landing gear is a very simple assembly. I added rolled paper parts, apart from the wire, to get a smoother finish and a strong assembly.
Attached Thumbnails
SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c29.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c30.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c31.jpg  
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 AM

great explanation on the wing attachment method you chose. There are multiple ways to achieve the same result. I have use this method as well in the past on some of my models especially if there is a fillet involved. I like your L shaped brackets on the inside.

Regarding this airplane, it is one of my very first model planes ( plastic kit from Heller ) that I built ( I was around 8 years old then ).

Fascinating design, but the short wingspan and the close coupled main gear would have caused lots of issues on landing if this was an operational fighter plane as it was intended. Also, engine out events on take off would have been challenging.

Great work

Isaac
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 AM

Thanks, Isaac
I agree that the undercarriage track is quite narrow but maybe similar to the F-104's. On the other way, as you point out, a thrust loss on one engine at take-off or landing would be a problem! The same goes for the F-104, but not for the same reason

The jet engine assembly to the wing was trouble free. There are small fillets at the wing trailing edge. They have a simple shape and are easy to apply.
Attached Thumbnails
SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c32.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c33.jpg   SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-c34.jpg  
Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 AM

Nice fit with the engine nacelles.

I wonder what the flaps look like on this airplane? I don't know for sure where the separation line is at based on the wing graphics. I need to check it out a bit more since it would be different to lower the flaps on this model when I build it in the future.

Isaac
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM

Exclamation

I did a little more research and found this French language site that talks in detail on this projects:
http://aviateurs.e-monsite.com/pages...r-trident.html

There is a photo showing the aircraft from the rear. The flaps are split on the bottom only which is not what I like to model, so at this point, I don't think I will drop the flaps on my model.

here are the pics from the web:
SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-trident-rear-view-web.jpg

SNCASO SO.9000 Trident / Answer / 1:33-cut-out-view.jpg

Isaac
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, answer, sncaso so.9000 trident