PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-08-2019, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)

Here's my second Huey.
This time it's an UH-1N Twin Huey from NAS Whiting Field, Florida, 1982.

In the next few days I should post first "work-in-progress" update.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_20190408_150722.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-mn.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-rescue.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-dangerjetintake.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-dangerkeepaway.jpg  

1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-uh1n-nas-whiting-field.jpg  
Old 04-08-2019, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good project, Kacper.

I flew quite often in USAF UH-1Ns of the 475th Air Base Wing at Yokota Air Base in Japan between 1987 and 1990, when I was the Assistant Chief of Staff, J-5 (Chief of Strategic Plans and Policy) for U.S. Forces, Japan. The unit was replaced or absorbed into the 374th Air Lift Wing in 1989.

The helo detachment was known as "Dragon Flight." I flew every week or two from Yokota to Hardy Barracks helipad in Tokyo. The UH-1N serials of the aircraft I flew in were 69‑6639, 69‑6645, and 69‑6646. I also noted the names of the flight crews and the tactical call signs of the pilots (CPT Bamba Bellamy, 1LT Hawk Brennan, ILT Lyb Dare, CPT Sam Jeter, CPT Tora Kruelskie,, 1LT Gome Mooney, 1LT Cowboy Reichart, and CPT Ghost Rider Trudeau). On one occasion, 6 July 1989, Lieutenant General James B. Davis, the commander of USFJ, flew the helicopter himself.

At that time, my wife was the base commander's secretary, and when I would return from Tokyo, the pilots used to say, "Put in a good word with Lil for us, Colonel!"

I wish I had taken some photographs, because when I got to Yokota, the Dragon Flight birds were still painted in the pretty color scheme with a red, white, and blue stripe in which they had been painted for the 1976 U.S. Bicentennial (as shown in the box art of this Fujimi model of 69-6639). A couple of years into my tour, they were repainted in overall flat light gray. More recently, they have appeared in light gray with a white top and a dark blue cheat line (Image 2).

I also flew in USMC UH-1N 159199 (MHLA 369‑502) from Futenma Marine Corps Air Station to Range Six, Camp Hansen, and return to Futenma MCAS, on 7 December (!) 1988,during a staff visit to Okinawa.

I'm afraid all this has very little to do with your model, Kacper, but your building a UH-1N got my rusty memories in gear.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-bell-uh-1n_bicentennial_color_scheme_fujimi_box_art-r.png   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-bell_uh-1n_69-6639_iruma_ab_2017.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 04-08-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Good luck with this one Kacper- should be a beauty.

And Don, I'm sure I speak for most members in saying your service reminiscences always make good reading whatever and wherever the context. Keep 'em coming mister.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:39 PM

Fully agree with Garry about your service reminiscences here Don. They're always welcome!

But today I have to do something I really don't want to. I have to suspend my work on this Twin Huey... For an indefinite period.
As I said in my earlier Air America thread, these little S&P Hueys are extremely difficult models, especially when resized to 1/100. Somehow, I managed to finish Bell 205 Air America with pretty good result but I think I had a lot of luck. My second Huey has turned out to be a tougher enemy...
I spent several hours on shaping this thing and I could not manage to get it look ok. I think I made some kind of mistake during the cutting. The rear segment completely didn't fit in this one.
My patience for this UH-1N has expired.
When I realized that I'm wasting my time I smashed this fuselage in anger. Sure, I could continue my work but trust me, it would be my worst model...

I've uploaded the file so it should be available in the downloads section soon. Maybe someone would like to test-build it. I'd be grateful for that.

At least I've got this one:
1/100 Bell 205 Air America (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_20190409_204708.jpg  
Old 04-09-2019, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I understand the situation. Maybe sometime in the future you can return to this one, or use a different model as the starting point.

Meanwhile, it's time to go on to another model.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
file has been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-09-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I understand the situation. Maybe sometime in the future you can return to this one, or use a different model as the starting point.

Meanwhile, it's time to go on to another model.

Don

I think I just need a longer break from Hueys.

And yes, I'll start another model and recolor, something completely different. Probably a Douglas A-3 Skywarrior but I can't confirm that right now.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificWind View Post
I think I just need a longer break from Hueys.

And yes, I'll start another model and recolor, something completely different. Probably a Douglas A-3 Skywarrior but I can't confirm that right now.
What a shame Kacper. We've all had the experience of a model that just refuses to co-operate. I think doing what you did (moving onto another subject) is really the best thing to do. You can always come back later and try again with this one.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:31 AM

Milestone this one for me- my first paper helicopter.
Kacper, the problem you had building this one was the usual suspect: something that isn't a problem in one scale all of a sudden is when the model is enlarged. I found the best way to get that pesky fuselage to work was separate the three main components. As you can see it builds fine (though still requires time and patience) and as you can also see your repaint effort is perfect young fella. A real pleasure making this.
Thankyou to you and of course to Bruno for his original creation.

Garry G.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_9301.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_9302.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_9300.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_9305.jpg   1/100 UH-1N Twin Huey - NAS Whiting Field, FL, 1982 (S&P, PacificWind's Recolors)-img_9303.jpg  

Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 AM

Thanks for test-building Garry!
You've achieved a great result with this one. Good job!

And looks like my repaint is fine too, I can't see any errors.

Tags
1982, aircraft, florida, huey, uh-1