PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rata View Post
What Don said. The Comet was truly a majestic airliner and despite it's early problems the design was sound enough to continue on as the Nimrod.
Not only as the Nimrod. As an airliner it was very successful with several airlines using it for several years after its problems were solved.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:40 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
A nice airliner - I flew on the Comet a lot and it was actually very spacious (seats were large and there was lots of leg room and ashtrays) and in its day extremely fast.

I remember doing "hot and high" trips of 300 miles - we would take off and climb to cruising altitude (35,000 feet) and then immediately begin our descent! Cruising speed was around 400 knots (460 mph or 750 kph).

I always thought it looked prettiest in the Transport Command colour scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
De Havilland Comet 4B 1:100-comet1.jpg   De Havilland Comet 4B 1:100-comet2.jpg   De Havilland Comet 4B 1:100-comet3.jpg  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
What a beautiful model. I have happy memories in building the BOAC version, with the wing leading edge tanks. I particularly like how you designed the flowing shape of the engines in the wing. Great designing talent! Will you be designing other airliners?
Old 05-21-2019, 05:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Looks like it has a good sturdy wing spar assembly. I like the orange on the wings.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
From photos, I very much liked the interior of the plane. Is there any museum where I can take a peek into the passenger cabin of this? A redesign, scale-up to 1:50 with interior details is not out of the question, but will have to be a long-term thing.

For the engines, there are plenty of panel lines to guide how the curve flows around the engine, they are designed that way for a reason. Back then there was not a lot of information on the internet where I base my reference material on, if I'm to do it again I certainly would have followed the panels more closely.

Then also, I have mixed feelings about models of airliners. Especially for the more famous long-haul jet families, the modelling community does not seem very keen on them. I think it is probably because of two reasons. Their appearances are formulaic (the airline industry values safety immensely over major innovation), and, it's difficult to add any eye candy details - small landing gears and windows compared to the entire aircraft. It's just too easy for the model to look bland. To sum up, I don't have confidence in designing a modern airliner model that looks good, or stands out. It might end up like the ones from Canon. Not saying they are bad models, but they certainly fall short of the quality of your average military aircraft kit. I wonder, what are your opinions on this?

Oh and I bet there are more kits about obscure Polish civilian vehicles (no offense here XD) than airliners. The 747 has what, like, 1 kit from Schreiber? And that's without landing gears.
Google Adsense
Old 05-21-2019, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Dan Air operated many of the Comets after most airlines removed them from service.

lots of pics here:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...30.3wt5VdYdlqA

and interior pics here:
https://travelupdate.boardingarea.co...comet-4-fleet/

It was certainly a classic looking airliner until someone decided to make an ugly plane out of it in the guise of the Nimrod ASW variant.

Isaac
Old 05-21-2019, 09:55 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Interesting pics.

I see they crammed the seats in on the Dan-Air - still looks pretty good though.
Old 05-22-2019, 02:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
From photos, I very much liked the interior of the plane. Is there any museum where I can take a peek into the passenger cabin of this? A redesign, scale-up to 1:50 with interior details is not out of the question, but will have to be a long-term thing.

For the engines, there are plenty of panel lines to guide how the curve flows around the engine, they are designed that way for a reason. Back then there was not a lot of information on the internet where I base my reference material on, if I'm to do it again I certainly would have followed the panels more closely.

Then also, I have mixed feelings about models of airliners. Especially for the more famous long-haul jet families, the modelling community does not seem very keen on them. I think it is probably because of two reasons. Their appearances are formulaic (the airline industry values safety immensely over major innovation), and, it's difficult to add any eye candy details - small landing gears and windows compared to the entire aircraft. It's just too easy for the model to look bland. To sum up, I don't have confidence in designing a modern airliner model that looks good, or stands out. It might end up like the ones from Canon. Not saying they are bad models, but they certainly fall short of the quality of your average military aircraft kit. I wonder, what are your opinions on this?

Oh and I bet there are more kits about obscure Polish civilian vehicles (no offense here XD) than airliners. The 747 has what, like, 1 kit from Schreiber? And that's without landing gears.
would love to build this if availible,regarding comments about other airliners paper trade have beautiful b747 in klm colours but you are right considering the 747 service there are very few commercial models,same goes for a380,the only ones i have seen for this are the paper replikas ones
Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
The de Havilland museum has one in restoration, https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/. Actually it seems not now, just parts and a MK 1a fuselage. Sorry.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Wow this is way more than I thought. Both the Dan Air example in Scotland, and the various surviving sections in the DH Museum are worth checking out. I am actually interested in doing this now...
Google Adsense