PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Cool Sikorsky S-40 Seaplane in 1/100 - Beta Test - Murph's Models

Friends

It has been a long time since I showed a construction in real time here, and for these weeks I had the opportunity to test a very complex model, where I can demonstrate some assembly techniques.

The model is the Sikorsky S-40, a large passenger hydroplane designed in the USA in the 1930s, a beta test commissioned by Aaron Murphy's (Murph's Models).

Speaking a little about the aircraft itself, this large hydroplane was designed in the first half of the 1930s at the request of Pan American Airways, to be its first hydroplane, it was basically an extrapolation of the Sikorsky S-38, with capacity for 38 passengers as well as being one of the first aircraft to have refrigerated kitchen for meals on board.

Three units were produced that were used on the PAA routes linking the United States with Central and South America. They were very safe aircraft that flew more than ten million miles between 1931 and 1941, during the war they were incorporated into the US Navy, being retired in 1943 and becoming scrap that same year.

The S40 were the first large seaplanes of the PAA and the first to be called the "Cliper", although large and safe, their tail-end arrangement was soon obsolete and the PAA replaced them with the large S- 41 and S-42 also from Sikorsky with more modern structure and even greater capacity.

Having introduced the subject, let's take a quick and succinct analysis of the model in question. In the 1/63 scale the model has 14 pages with segmented fuselage in five forms, it has relatively complex forms with integrated keel and fuselage, auxiliary floats also present formers, the greater difficulty and the challenge of this model lies in the construction of the tail and of the wings that connect the fuselage to the wings besides the installation of the flight and support cables.

The model has a new arrangement that Aaron has begun to attach to its biplane models since the launch of Salson-Moreau SM-1: a construction jig, the S-40 has 4 pages and allows the segmented construction of the main sets of the model your connection without error of alignment, the tool to be effective need to laminate hard cardboard paper in some of its parts and others that are folded like pillars laminated to paper 180g or 240g.

I chose to assemble the model by sub assemblies and then join these in the jig, we started by the fuselage laminating the formers in 4 mm cardboard paper, note that the at least one hole in each center of the formers has the function of inserting a tweezers to help fix in the segment of the fuselage the same (a good idea of ​​the friend Michael Stanley that I ended up adopting)...

Coming soon...
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I have always liked the look of this flying boat and am glad to see that Aaron is making it available. The construction jig approach looks good. I will be watching your assembly closely in hopes of building one of these myself one day.

Thanks for the historical information and the assembly images.

Don
Old 05-23-2019, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
Darn that Murphy. I keep saying I won’t get any more of his models until I get the 40 odd models of his I already have built up. Then he goes and designs models I just have to have. Looks like I will have one more model added to the build pile. He knows my weakness.

I look forward to the build report, and the eventual release of this model.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Nice model.

I think there is a full size aircraft at the New England aviation museum in Windsor Locks Connecticut.

Isaac
Old 05-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
What a classic golden age aircraft for Aaron to design and for you to build Péricles. Best of luck with this project- I will be following this closely.

BTW, that jig looks as complex as the model!
Old 05-23-2019, 06:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Nice model.

I think there is a full size aircraft at the New England aviation museum in Windsor Locks Connecticut.

Isaac
They have the only S-44. The S-40 is extinct.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
This looks fascinating; never thought I’d see the S-40 in paper.

Wyvern
Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 669.56 MB
Put me down for one. Can’t wait to see this build take shape.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
I am thrilled to see this taking shape. And with the unique Murphy touches. Eager to build it for myself. BTW - you can see the real thing as star and dance stage in the Fred Astaire movie "Flying Down to Rio".
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
Gotta go get my pup tent and sleeping bag, so I can be first in line when they hit the store. I really am interested in seaplanes.
Google Adsense