PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-22-2019, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand

Sikorsky pioneered 4-engined aircraft before WW1, with this Le Grand and later the S-22 Ilya Murometz. This model designed by Manfred Schmitt, and briefly self-published, is the largest in his series of 1:50 aircraft from the earliest days of flight - MS Modelle Old Timers.

I started building this in 2002, after building others in Manfred's series. It went together well, including the interior of the cabin, which has a pot bellied stove in the corner for warmth. The Sikorsky style is already clear - the round porthole windows, that persist to this day, the robust design, the searchlight, the comfort of the cabin, the placement of the motors to be easy to service. The notion of a "front porch" to the cabin is an unusual feature - it does not seem to have direct access to the cabin, so anyone there (to operate the searchlight perhaps) may have to have stayed out in the wind for the duration of the flight.

I got stuck at the point of the landing gear. Schmitt's approach to wheels was unique - stretched threads formed the spokes and the rims and tyres are all paper. This looks good until you load weight on, by setting the model on the wheels. They then slowly collapse, I have found. I put the model aside, rather than go to all that effort for a wobbly appearance. So now,in 2019, I returned to it with a solution - photo etched metal spoke disks, from Eduard.com in the Czech Republic. These seem to work perfectly - they are not obtrusive and they take the weight, though it does mean a bit of metal in the model. I then finished it, and rigged it with stiffened thread (dipped in varnish and suspended with a weight to dry).

Le Giant can stand up at last.

A few photos taken during the build back in 2002:
Attached Thumbnails
MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-p9070003.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-pb100001.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-pb100003.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-le-grand-cabin.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-sikorski-le-grand2.jpg  

Old 06-22-2019, 08:13 AM

Here are the wheel spoke disks I found. The one plate has wheels of different diameters. It was easy to glue them onto the card wheel rims from the model, one rim on each side, plus an extra tyre circle.
Attached Thumbnails
MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1240.jpg  
Old 06-22-2019, 08:21 AM

And finally here is the finished model. After hanging on the wall for 17 years, the model picked up a few sags and dings, but is none the worse for wear!
Attached Thumbnails
MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1239.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1226.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1227.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1228.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1229.jpg  

MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1230.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1231.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1232.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1233.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1235.jpg  

Old 06-22-2019, 08:25 AM

A few last photos
Attached Thumbnails
MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1224.jpg   MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-dscn1231.jpg  
Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Nice details on a very large model.

Interesting design!

I remember as a kid seeing a photo of the Ilya Merometz flying and a guy is walking on top of the rear fuselage. A train that can fly!

Nice work.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 06-22-2019, 08:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That is a magnificent model, Rob. And an interesting back story on the spoked wheels. Reminds me of the Fulton Hungerford spoked wheels for stick and tissue models back in the day.

Don
Old 06-22-2019, 10:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Just amazing! Great work on a really cool looking aircraft.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 06-22-2019, 10:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you very much for sharing. This is a pre WWI design sponsored by a Railway company. The pilots were standing like in a Loco or a Ship!
One of my favorite early planes with an important place in history and rather sad end.
Very nice build.

ps Mr. Andrew Dewar did a simplified flying version on his Pioneers of Flight (but I wouldn't fly it)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very beautiful....very good job.

YOAV
Old 06-22-2019, 12:34 PM

I just found the cover - to make this a complete report. It was printed in black lines on paper stocks of several different weights and colors. So no color printing at all. The papers give the look of canvas, wood, and brushed aluminum. Plus 35 pages of typed and handdrawn instructions. Ingenious little models, now long out of print.
Attached Thumbnails
MS Modelle Sikorsky S-21 Le Grand-legrand-cover.jpg