PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-25-2019, 12:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.88 MB
Thank you dave for comenting,i know that there is no need to treem the last rong ... however after my firs attempt on the cowling i wasent happy with the result so i decided to try and make it a little bit more conical to make the final look apear more rounded,it worked for me and i am happy with the resalt i got,doing the cowl part as instructed by you is absolutely fine ,i allways try to build as instructed but if I think i can improve the final result with another technic i will give it a go .

Your model is absolutely fine as is and a joy to build,it my not be historicly accurate but this is my place to make it as accurate as possible as i can when building a model,espesialy if it dosent need to much to make it so

Buy the way Dave,i saw that one of your texan models has a long version of the exhaust pipe that i need for this one,whic variant is it? Allso which one has the rockets page?

Thank you again.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:11 AM

Some progress...
Attached Thumbnails
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190725_001718.jpg  
Old 07-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
The long exhaust comes in Harvard kits, not Texans.
I'm under the impression (at that time) the IAF were using Texans.
The example sitting at the Israel Air Force Museum (the one I used for colour reference)
is a Harvard repainted as a Golden Eagle Squadron plane.

The only Rockets I produce are in the Korean Tactical AT6
but those are phosphor (marking) rockets, a bit different probably.
I did not have information on wing mounted rockets for the IAF Texan,
thats probably why I didn't include those.
If you want the pylons and rockets from the Korean USAF planes, I can send you the sheet.
Just email me and I'll send it back to you.

As far as the paint colour, I don't pretend to be an expert,
but I also don't guess at colours...I do my best to copy verified examples of the correct colours.

I will not refer to "artist's profile artworks" and I will not rely on plastic model references. Anyway, the plastic model examples vary widely!

This kit was produced many years ago...I can't remember everything, and I don't have my original reference material any more.
In this case, not having actual reliable colour photos of the real planes, I think I only
looked to the Israel Air Force Museum examples and their weathered paint finishes.
They have a number of aircraft done in this weathered look, including the Harvard.

You cannot look at the PDF and assume the colours will be wrong.
In fact, you must print to see the final output, not whats on your computer screen.
My original test print of the fuselage matched what I wanted,
and what I saw in the Museum photos.

The blue is not that brilliant (as on your model).
And the 'gray" and 'brown' colours are closer to what I think is right.

Once again, weathering and repair variations, will create all kinds of differences,
as will lighting and camera effect. (the above photos is a bit washed out from flash!)

With the right lighting, colours can be brighter, or darker, or much more/less vibrant.
I also have to consider the variations in printer outputs...I try to create a look
that will be more consistent across different users print-outs.

Note to builders: Sometimes, you can try different print settings and achieve different colours
and effects (if you are unhappy with your first print out).
Its always good to do a test page before you print an entire kit, to check printer operation and colours.

Last edited by airdave; 07-25-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
The long exhaust comes in Harvard kits, not Texans.
I'm under the impression (at that time) the IAF were using Texans.
The example sitting at the Israel Air Force Museum (the one I used for colour reference)
is a Harvard repainted as a Golden Eagle Squadron plane.

I I understand where you are coming from...in the early days of the IAF (1948)Israel smuggled 15 AT-6 Texans from the USA, out of those only 6 were operational and were used for night bombings and at the end of 1949 they were used for instructional purposes, in 1950 about 50 Canadian Harvards were bought to the IAF most of them were C Canadian AT-16's which had the long exhaust pipe and a longer double frame back canopy but in Israel they were all cold Harvards (AT-6's and the Canadian AT-16's)...
and that is why I want to fit my model with a long exhaust pipe...

as for my color corection: I and my fellow modelers in Israel are using a standard FS color chart that was and still is used in the IAF to this day 'and it is our start point and anchor when building an IAF object, I can upload this color chart for all to use if you would like it.
By the way, the IAF museum exhibits are not a good color reference ...

as for the rockets and pilons, I will probably make my own, just thought I will use yours as a reference point, and I thank you for your offer.

as for the build itself :
fuselage and wing are joined
Attached Thumbnails
Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-35.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-36.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-37.jpg  

Last edited by solo67; 07-25-2019 at 11:26 AM. Reason: forgot a sentance
Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Amazing AT-6. Very nice clean work, Moshe.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
Amazing AT-6. Very nice clean work, Moshe.

Gary
Much appreciated Gary
Old 07-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Just to clarify, referring to Federal Standard Color Charts is no more accurate since the FS is an American color chart for American Military colors.
The Israel Air Force Museum chose to paint its planes a certain way, and I tried to copy a real life example, and not use a common plastic modellers reference tool.

Moshe I've known you a long time, and you've done a great job with this build...
I am sorry to be so argumentative, but you've made an effort (twice) to point out how historically inaccurate my model is.
Yet, your only argument so far has been that you and your "fellow modelers" like to use the American FS Color chart.
I think I did the best I could with the information I had.

Im still not convinced the Harvards (AT16 are Norduyn built Texans basically) were equipped with the long exhaust.
I tried to find original photos of 1950s IAF Harvards/Texans and every one I have found so far has the stubby Texan exhaust.

I'll send you a page from the Harvard, with the exhaust parts.
Do I still have your email I wonder? its been a while.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM

I would like to apologize dave if my words were misunderstood or misinterpreted in any way, that was not my intention ...

all i wanted to say is that when i choose to build a model i try to make it as close as I can to an actual object using any skill i have available to me...

your model was and still is a fantastic starting point for me to get there.

never meant any disrespect.

I apologize again mate.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:00 AM

I would like to thank Dave for sending me the exhaust pipe parts for this model.
I added a pitot tube a new antenna, mounted the air scoops and aft landing wheel, pitot tube needs to be shorter and is missing a small part at the front that I will fit later on.

enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-46.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-47.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-48.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-49.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-50.jpg  

Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-51.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-52.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-55.jpg   Iaf ta-6 texan-ta-6-texan-56.jpg  
Old 07-28-2019, 02:02 AM

The Canopy...

Since I started this build the canopy was something that I thought about a lot ... I didn't want to make a vacuum form one because I don't have the time to do it, I needed to find a simple enough solution, the big problem is the tension of the foil, once you bend it will not keep its shape and will bounce back to its flat position.

My first thought was to keep the shape using wire, but it is very hard to glue on and still, there is the tension issue ...
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_235259_1.jpg
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_235327.jpg

So I decided to try heat forming with boiling water...problem solved.

The first attempt using the shaped wire was close but still wider then I wanted ...

Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_234241.jpg
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_234314.jpg
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_234652.jpg

Another try with both ends clamped together was much better, the foil kept the shape with no tension.

Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_234833.jpg
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_235006.jpg
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190726_235012.jpg

The water should be as close to boiling temp as you can get them and the dipping time is 30-45 sec

Now I can make the canopy the easy way

Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190727_005446.jpg
Iaf ta-6 texan-img_20190727_005716.jpg