PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-23-2019, 10:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
eCardmodels had a larger scale version... moded to the version flown over Laos and Vietnam. It's not back up yet, but here's a look at what it was like. I did a repaint for them.

OP-2E Paper Model
Old 08-30-2019, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
I am on my third redesign of the wing. Hopefully, this one will not dimple like the first one or sag like the second. Part 38 is to insure the horizontal stabilizers maintain a slight dihedral. Part 39 is to help maintain the dihedral in the outer wing panel. When I first started this project, I didn’t see the dihedral and designed a flat wing with only 2 parts. After I realized that there was a dihedral, I tried to bend the wings but that didn’t work, because bending a curved surface would result in a dimple. Then I tried a wing made of 3 parts to work around the dimple but that didn’t work either. So back to Sketchup to design a 4 part wing. I expected a concave curve on the upper surface and a convex curve on the lower surface where the inner and outer wing panels meet. On paper, the deflection was only 0.5 mm. That is less that some of the gaps in the fuselage because I can’t cut a straight line even with a straight edge. I am not sure how this project is going to end.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-5-wing-supports-9264.jpg  
Old 09-18-2019, 05:48 PM

Looks like this project is going to be a late birthday present or even a Christmas present at the rate of my progress. I went through half dozen variations of the engine nacelle and wheel well before finding a solution that is forgiving of poorly cut lines. I still have to complete the propellers, jet engines, canopy, radome, landing gear and antennas.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-6-wing-9469.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-7-wing-ip-tank-9470.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-8-wheel-well-9473.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-9-exhaust-9471.jpg  
Old 09-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.26 GB
Looks awesome, When can I get one, Christmas, New Year?

Bob Neill
Old 09-19-2019, 03:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
Terrific job !
Google Adsense
Old 09-19-2019, 10:57 PM

The model will have a propeller that can rotate. One of these days it would be fun to design a wing where the flaps can be lowered for landing but not for this model as I am way behind schedule. Hopefully, the engine nacelles will be completed tomorrow and glued on to the wings. That leaves the jet engines, canopy, radome, landing gear and antennas. I’m hoping to finish by the end of this month, September. But then, who knows what will not fit or work and I have to redesign the patterns.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-10-propeller-9475.jpg  
Old 09-22-2019, 10:35 PM

The photo that I posted a couple of days ago was missing parts 95 and 96. The replacement photo below shows the missing pieces for the cowling. We are still not done. In addition to joining the 2 halves, there are still 4 more parts that I need to design and glue on.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-10-propeller-9477.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-11-propeller-9481.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-12-engine-9482.jpg  
Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 PM

I asked my friend if he wanted his model with the landing gears up (and with the jet engine air intake open) or with the landing gears down (with the jet engine air intake close and with the forward entry ladder down). He wanted the latter like it was parked on the runway. Done. Next, the canopy, radome, landing gear and antennas.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-13-jet-engine-9497.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-14-cowling-details-9498.jpg  
Old 09-27-2019, 11:50 PM

I Googled P2V-7 Neptune landing gear and found several helpful photos, a set of detail add-on landing gear parts for the Revel plastic model, and an article in BritModeler.com on modifying the Hasegawa plastic model so the landing gears, both main and nose, are off-center to match the prototype. Because the later article was modifying the wheel well, it also show where the crew entered the aircraft. My friend told me that he could enter the plane via a ladder at the aft end of the nose wheel well and I just assumed there was a hatch at the end of the ladder as you faced the ladder. It turns out that the entrance is on the port side which mean you have to turn your body to the right at the top of the ladder. When I give the finished aircraft to my friend, I am going to ask exactly how did the crew board and exit the aircraft. My friend also mentioned there is a hatch near the tail of the aircraft that was low enough that you could pulled yourself up without a ladder. Anyway, we are almost done. Next, install the landing gear and then build the canopy, radome, and antennas.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-15-cowling-details-9499.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-16-landing-gear-9502.jpg  
Old 10-03-2019, 05:54 PM

I am going to declare the P2V-7 Neptune is finally done, over 3 months after my friend’s birthday. It took close to 6 months from the first Sketchup drawing of a fuselage to gluing on the last of the antennas. I don’t know how I got the idea that I could complete this project by June. The latest hang-up was the jet engines. I changed the design and rebuild the jet engines about a half dozen times before it started to look half way like the photos. The ALR-3 nose antenna had its share of design changes as well. I hear misery loves company but I wasn’t comforted reading that the AW609 tiltrotor may finally get certified for commercial aviation this year, about 18 years after that project started. I guess these things take a lot of time, no matter what the engineers promised their boss.

If anyone wants to give a paper model of the P2V-7 Neptune to a naval aviator friend or relative that flew on one, I will share the patterns soon, hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I will also post an unpainted version as the livery for this aircraft varies by squadron, by year, and by country (I think the P2V-7 Neptune was flown by 10 other countries in addition to the US). If there are problems with the patterns, let me know and I will fix the errors and post the corrections.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-13-jet-engine-9504.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-17-landing-gear-radome-9517.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-18-radome-forward-antenna-ladder-9510.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-19-aft-antenna-9512.jpg   1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-20-flat-antenna-9514.jpg  

1/87 scale P2V-7 Neptune-21-flat-antenna-9513.jpg  
Google Adsense