PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
HP80 Victor 1/50 scale

Photos of my my latest unfeasibly large model attached, of a subject which I can recall wanting a model of since the time when it was the latest thing in aviation technology! At the time, I think Airfix had a kit but probably pocket money at 3d a week wasn't going to make it happen and so, it's taken until now to get around to it.

It's a Wilhelmshaven kit, probably quite an old one (the date on it is 2002) of the second prototype WB775 which is considerably different from the last Victors; it's shorter (there were problems with c of g which were rectified by lengthening the fuselage forward of the wings on the production models) and obviously no distinctive refuelling probe, but from what I can gather from the relatively few photos available online, the kit is quite accurate and certainly well designed, with the exception of the cockpit glazing which is very strange indeed.

Printed on quite thick card and in silver, I had the whole kit copied onto 200 gsm card because I didn't think I could a) make too good a job of it on such thick material and b) I foresaw many screw ups ahead would would need spare parts; however, thicker card would have been beneficial in some places (the wing spars especially) and the copy process wouldn't, as I foresaw, give silver but a sort of blue grey. This was ok and I had a few extras printed from time to time to replace dodgy elements but then, the copy shop replaced its machine and the colours came out quite differently. I'm sure you can spot where I had to use what I could get - that was a bad period in construction!

The fit was pretty good, except for one rear fuselage section whose diameter was about 2mm too small and I had to create a new larger part from areas of colour from one of the reprints and the unacceptable canopy glazing was redrawn on the computer, cut out in separate sections and glued onto spare coloured card; I then thinned this down by rubbing most of the back off and glued it over the offending area.

The air intakes were another tricky area; I made up the kit parts but couldn't live with the resulting completely un-prototypical thin edges around the intakes when I did a dry run. The solution was to reduce the intake inners by copying at 90% and then add layers of card strip around the front edges and sanding down to get a rounded profile. Not really very satisfactory but it's all I could come up with; the problem always is matching watercolour/gouache colour to the printed shades and clearly I didn't quite get it right (again!).

If anyone wants to have a go at this kit, I now have an untouched copy of it, since I copied all that I needed, plus I can supply the cockpit glazing overlay.

All the best

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
HP80 Victor 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1314.jpg   HP80 Victor 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1315.jpg   HP80 Victor 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1316.jpg   HP80 Victor 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1319.jpg   HP80 Victor 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1320.jpg  

HP80 Victor 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1321.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-26-2019, 07:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
nice to see a victor model and a dam fine build well done big thumbs up
Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
That is a beautiful piece of work. And those tricky intakes are absolutely stunning - well done there!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.10 GB
That is beautiful!!! The victor has always bee a favorite of mine since I received a book with a picture of it in it back in the 50's. Well done !

Dave
Old 08-26-2019, 05:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Really interesting model. I like what you did on the engine intakes. I really like it. I wish there was a better and more detailed kit of it.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
this very unique bird......and you did very good job.

YOAV
Old 08-27-2019, 01:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Many thanks for the kind comments, gentlemen, I too could have wished for a better kit but I think it highly unlikely that one would be produced now.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 64.98 MB
It is very nice model.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 589.46 MB
Victor

Beautiful model Chris

Sincerely

Tom
Old 08-27-2019, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Amazing build... the intake work is crazy!
Google Adsense