PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Sovois S21 WIP

My 2nd all time favorites aircraft. the Savoia S21. Just started the 3D modeler today. It going to be my 2nd card model(hopefully). I'm working from the 1/48 injection kit drawings, art book and film images. Parts and panels changes size and shape from scenes to scenes. So, I give up on making it film accurate. I'll just eyeball the best I can with the plastic kit as my main reference. I'm also thinking building both early and late engines. When it done. It will be 1/24 scale. More WIP coming..... don't know how soon tho.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-01.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-02.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-03.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-04.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-05.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It has a beautiful hull shape. Porco Rosso is a big hit in our family. Looks like a good project.

Don
Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
This is going to make one impressive model. The
scale you plan on will make it more so. Ron
Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 AM

Corrected few errors, and things are moving well. I'm just going to rough in everything first, then I'll add the detail.

Amazing how much I can get things done when I'm not playing COD MW2 on line. :o
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-06.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-07.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-08.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I've just finished building the smaller and I'm sure less accurate free kit(1/48?) I thought it would be really impressive to see a larger one made so I really look forward to seeing you complete yours. I found this site while I was building it I thought it might be useful.It also has a couple of the rebuilt version on it that might help you with the differences between the 2. Savoia s21 Good luck I hope to see plenty of pictures when your done!
Phil.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:08 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Very accomplished drawings

Old 06-23-2010, 05:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.79 MB
You have quite a challenge. This plane has so many unique curves and shapes, that when I first saw it on "Porco Rosso", I actually thought it was a fictional concept.
As a big fan of the movie myself, I too look forward to your progress.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 AM

I didn't got to spent much time as I would like to have. Still working on finalizing/trouble shooting my first card model before it goes public. With what free times I got. I went back to rebuilt the engine. Didn't like the first one I build the more I looks at it. I think this one capture the shape little better. With my newbie Rhino skill. I'm happy with it. But, the final judgment not from me but you guys. With the main engine part done. Next I'll be building parts for both early and late engine.

I also reshape the wing. I keep looking at the movie still shots and back to the 1/48 FineMolds kit. The two don't match. The FM kit is nice. But, even I know I can't build my movie accurate. I still want to get close as I can with my card model. So, I dumped the FM's kit and just working with my screen shots reference from the "Art Of" books. The first propeller spinner I built was a lot rounder like the film. But I have to keep reminding myself I'm building a card model, and small round dome stuff are not all that fun to unfold. The propeller blades are different too. The kit's blades are nice, I like the shape. The film version are lot wider, like race planes blades. So, I goes with the film version. Other thing, the guns cowling? port? whatever it call. I redo that too to looks more like the film. Don't know why FineMolds made their differently, like Bf109.

Anyway, thanks guys. And thanks Gixerg. I know about that website. Until next update guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-09.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-10.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-11.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-12.jpg  
Old 06-27-2010, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 95.08 MB
I think part of the problem is even in the film the details keep changing,one example is the float bracing which comes and goes through out the film!then you have the version after the rebuild with the larger engine and radiator,forward cockpit and single machine gun after one was removed to make room for,..well you've seen the film so you know what it made room for it all makes things very difficult when it comes to making a model.I think it will be a matter of picking a look from the movie and trying to capture that.Your work so far looks amazing a beautiful looking plane and it that respect 100% accurate.Looking forward to seeing the finished model.Great work!!
Phil
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 AM

Well, got both early and later version engine done. Wish my Rhino skill is better then I am now so I can model better. I can see a lot of area are the exact as film. But close enough is good enough, for now. Most of the exterior are done but the wing floats, and still need to do some work on the cabane struts. Then I'll be off to the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails
Sovois S21 WIP-13.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-14.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-15.jpg   Sovois S21 WIP-16.jpg  
Google Adsense