PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-18-2019, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
bac TSR2; 1/50 scale

This is from an IPMS Austria kit, design by Walter Schweiger (have seen him on the Kartonbau.de site); quite expensive to get in England but excellent english instructions, design and artwork, although the card it's printed on is extremely thin and I really can't imagine that a decent model at the quoted scale of 1/33 would be at all possible - I'd love to see one but I've only come across two examples, one here and one on Kartonbau, both of which died out at an early stage unfinished.

For reasons of consistency with my HP Victor and because of my extreme reservations re the adequacy of the cardstock, I had the kit copied at 1/50 scale and on 200 gsm card.

Problems occurred at frequent intervals and the first two weeks construction was largely abortive, mainly because the thicker material seemed to affect the larger fuselage sections and the formers supporting them; I sort of got round this by reprinting the formers at 65% of the original instead of 66% and wrapping paper around them until I got a reasonable fit. Even so, the reverse curves of the plating, particularly on the underside, tended to be unhelpful in getting a good finish.

The engine intakes went together really well but I didn't check the positioning of the rather scanty wing framework relative to the plating and the slots in the top of the fuselage into which it's glued and so ended up with the wing slightly further forward than it should be. The design of the wheels is also relatively successful with reducing diameters of thicker card internal formers helping to give some impression of rounded edges to the printed tyre components.

I left out the cockpit and internal wheel well detail as the former is too small at this scale (plus difficulties in doing a decent job on the glazing) and the latter looked rather unrealistically flimsy compared to the prototype as well as being pretty well hidden (unless I decide to hang the model from the ceiling!)

Really not a kit for the beginner and also a bit humbling for the more experienced modeller (i.e. me on occasions when I nearly abandoned it!) Nonetheless (from a distance and in a favourable light), it's good to have this model of such a fabulous prototype.

Best wishes to all

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1322.jpg   bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1323.jpg   bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1324.jpg   bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1325.jpg   bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1327.jpg  

bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1328.jpg   bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1329.jpg   bac TSR2; 1/50 scale-optimized-img_1330.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
None of the build problems you mention are apparent in the photos Chris. Stunning model.
Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Great, magnificient job!
Old 10-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
dam that's good all round well done
Old 10-18-2019, 09:41 AM

Thanks very much for the encouraging comments, gents, much appreciated; certainly when I put the optimised photos on the site, perhaps the reduced definition helps the issues that I've encountered to fade away!
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2019, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
We know every little "imperfection" in our own models, and they seem magnified. Going from these photos, though, it looks like a clean and excellent build. Great job!
Old 10-19-2019, 05:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I built this is 1/33 using 160gsm paper. It assembles well so long as you follow the fundamentals of prefolding and curving the parts where necessary. The cockpit is a bit sparse for the scale but can easily be tarted up using the wide range of references available for the Airfix 1/48 model.

Unfortunately mine came to an untimely end when dogs playing jumped on the table and reverted it to a 2D form...a double shame as I am not a big finisher and this was one that was almost there. Definitely one that I will be revisiting...

The reason that you are probably having trouble with the curved parts is that you have reduced the scale but increased the thickness of the paper...typically paper thickness changes proportionately with scale...
Old 10-19-2019, 09:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Very nice presentation of one of the more interesting "could have been"
Old 10-19-2019, 11:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very impressive.
the model looks great.
and your work is very clean and very good.
well done.

YOAV
Old 10-20-2019, 01:40 AM

Very much appreciate the kind comments, many thanks to all. I have to say that I did wonder about the heavier card making life difficult but as I've used it successfully on four out of the five planes I've made recently I didn't think that I would have too much of a problem; the main issue has been where a convex curve is immediately next to a concave one and no matter how much pre-forming I did the concave curve would flatten when I inserted the fuselage formers.

On to the next plane now, the JSF HP42 airliner which I am reducing to 1/100 and reverting to 160 gsm card, mainly because I already have a Junkers G38, also from Schreiber, at this scale; perhaps a diorama of Croydon Airport might be a future project?

All the best

Chris
Google Adsense