PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-22-2022, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines

Hello,

It's nice that Geli models are being printed again and available to us for purchase. This time I am making their Sud Aviation "Caravelle" which is done in Austrian Airlines colors.

As with their other kits, this one is actually painted on the card stock and the finish is glossy and smooth, even metallic where it needs to be. The kit also includes the cardboard parts already printed on cardboard, and enough clear plastic to open all of the fuselage windows.

The instructions are printed in German. I can follow along with much of it just by noting the part numbers, but some portions need to be translated to English for good understanding. I recently started doing translations by taking a digital photo of the instruction text, then running the photo through an online OCR site, and then running those results through an online translator. It is faster than my old method of typing the sentences, finding the special German characters online and pasting them into my sentences, and then running that through the translator.

Section 6 is the starting point for the kit. This is a large cylinder with typical attachment tabs and frame at each end. My photo only shows the cylinder but I added the tabs and frames after that.

I worked forward from there, Sections 5 and 4 being typical conical cylinder sections, this time tabs and frame only on the forward end. The photo shows them joined but they are not glued. I like to get all of my cylinders assembled and fitted to each other before actually gluing them together so I can make sure the fit is good... make sure I did not build some kind of warp into the sections. Besides, when I start test-fitting the rear sections, it will be easier not to have the nose sections up there. The parts will be stored as shown in this photo because they adjust to each other and will slip together easily when the time comes to glue them together.

Though Geli included enough plastic to cut out all of the cabin windows, I chose not to do that since there is no interior. And I didn't feel up to making an interior because I've done the interior on a plastic airliner kit (another Caravelle, in fact!) and it's a bit more repetitive than I care to deal with (Even this "small" airliner will need about 80 passenger seats).

Sections 2 and 3 include the flightdeck windshield panels. The instructions tell you to assemble Section 3 without its frame and then attach Section 2 (last photo, #2510). Next the windshield openings are cut out, then add clear plastic to the inside for the "glass", and then add the interior flightdeck parts.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2490.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2498a.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2509.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2510.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2022, 12:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.06 MB
Hello Kurt,

great choice! The "Caravelle" is a beauty. I love GELI and I will follow your construction report.

BTW: I'm collecting instructions for GELI kits in english - you can DL them here.

Regards,
Wolfgang
Old 05-23-2022, 02:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 857.34 MB
its good to see they are availible to purchase
Old 05-23-2022, 07:00 PM

Good Evening,

Web, I see your list of instructions will keep it in mind for future kits (I don't see Caravelle listed yet but it's good to know you are collecting these).

It concerned me that the "posts" between each windshield panel were so thin and would make this area very weak. I considered not doing the flightdeck interior, but hey, I'd miss part of the fun of building the kit. After making sure to use a fresh knife blade, cutting out the openings went better than I expected. There are some ragged edges and I used some glue to smooth them down (I use Aleene's Tacky Glue).

The Aleene's bead glue ("Jewel-It") works well for attaching plastic to paper. The drawback is it does not come off of the clear plastic once it is smeared... and yes, I did smear in some places. No photo yet, but the windshield part is finished.

Best regards,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2511.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2513.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2514.jpg  
Old 05-23-2022, 09:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Exclamation Windshield

For those wishing to build the model with the original paper windshield, you may want to consider scanning, then joining the window parts that are separated by a seam, and then printing the windshield parts on thin paper. Then glue them directly over the window parts with the seam running thru them. This way you have a cleaner look.

example of the old WHV Nord Noratlas

Original windshield
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_9780.jpg

paste on one piece windows
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_9825.jpg

Good luck with the clear windows.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2022, 06:15 AM

Hi Isaac,

Wow, when I was thinking about leaving the windows as they were, it did not occur to me they could be smoothed over as you did. I like it! (And will keep that trick in mind for future projects)

Thanks,
Kurt
Old 05-25-2022, 07:33 PM

Hello,

The flightdeck interior on this kit includes the floor, two seats, and the instrument panel which is also the cardboard frame for the two cylinders in this area. The seats are each one piece with lots of folds. I forgot to take a photo before I glued the assembly inside so this is all I can do for a view.

Fitting the flightdeck section to the next section behind it was somewhat of a problem since the plastic for the windows caused the cylinder's cross-section to go from circular to elliptical. So worked with the parts and got them pressed together, then let them sit overnight like that. Then when I returned to glue them together, everything was more cooperative about fitting and I think I got a decent joint.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2522.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2524.jpg  
Old 05-31-2022, 05:44 PM

Hello,

The fuselage cylinder sections are all built. Only a couple of the sections have been glued to another at this point; most are being stored this way for awhile.

I am pondering whether to do the rear airstairs. As can be seen in the second photo, the opening takes up most of that particular cylinder section. Since this cylinder section is like most of the others (just a skin with a frame at each end), when the sides are cut it is likely to allow the paper to spring back to a straighter shape instead of remaining circular. This won't look very good. I am thinking perhaps I should fashion some internal cardboard walls for the left and right sides of the opening which will also hold the skin in position. This cylinder is not glued to the adjacent cyclinder and so I can still easily get inside from that end.

If and when I do cut this opening, I'll do the left and right edges, then the rear-most edge, and leave the front attached to act as a hinge. I don't see any issues with building the stairs, just figuring out how to support the inside so the fuselage stays circular at the stairs.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2542.jpg   1/33 Geli Caravelle - Austrian Airlines-img_2543.jpg  
Old 06-01-2022, 02:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 134.16 MB
Based on my attempts at adding scratchbuilt landing gear wells, if you can get all the bits inside I'd try to scratchbuild a 'box' which covers the well for the airstairs- but also have it extending to attach to the formers. That way you avoid the area sagging under weight if it was simply glued to the inside of the fuselage skin. Or you could attempt to make the fuselage very stiff with some mixture of internal ribs, varnish or extra formers. Surgery may be required...
Old 06-01-2022, 07:01 AM

Thanks Siwi, you are right the parts will need to attach to the formers. One of my concerns is distorting the skin by attaching walls inside, but I'm also thinking the edge of the opening provides a sudden change of geometry and distracts the eye from some waviness in the skin. I'll ponder this more as I assemble wheels.

Best regards,
Kurt
Google Adsense