PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-13-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
The tail feathers are on. I tried to disguise the warp as much as possible by careful positioning of these three parts, but it's still pretty evident as the first photo shows. The horizontal tail planes on the kit were entirely linen covered, but my search for information suggested that only the moving surfaces were linen, with the rest being covered in veneer. I think it's more attractive this way, and there's so little information out there, that no one can say with absolute certainty which is correct. I intend to add control arms and cables to the rudder and elevators, and I'm still working on the coaming. Despite the warp, in the end I think it's going to be a good looking model.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloyde.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydf.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydg.jpg  
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 PM

We're getting there. I just added the instrument panel and the cockpit coaming to the fuselage. The coaming is made from a piece of 0.5mm cardboard cut to shape and then coated with many coats of white glue with occasional sanding in between. A couple coats of craft store dark brown acrylic paint finished the part. I'm pretty hapy with it. The instrument panel looked a little boring, so I decided to ring the gauges for a better look. I have a couple of spools of fine lead wire used by anglers that make their own flies. I looped the wire around a mandrel, and sliced a ring. Fine tweezers were used to coax the ring into the final round shape. I applied a bit of white glue to the printed gauge, and carefully placed each ring into place one by one. The glue holds the ring in place, and dries with a bit of a glass like sheen. I'm liking this model more despite the warp in the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydh.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydi.jpg  
Old 11-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Despite that little deformation that bothers you, for me the work is spectacular. I would like someday that a construction of mine had that neatness that you, and others, get.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 871.99 MB
Don, your mods to the instrument panel are nothing short of superb.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:16 AM

Thank you, my friends. Yesterday I got the lower wings mounted. Alcides' original all fabric wings have been modified with a veneered center section. The first grainy period photo is of the actual aircraft, and you can even see the reflection of the strut on the shiny varnished surface. I'm making an assumption that the undersides of the wings had the same veneer treatment. Unlike other biplanes of the period, although firmly anchored to the fuselage, the wings are not connected to each other. I think that's the main reason I selected it over other WWI birds - no scary struts or rigging.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-40.16.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydj.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydk.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydl.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydm.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2019, 06:37 AM

Don, looks great, it's going to be a beautiful bird. I didn't know this plane.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Thanks Sergio. There were two previous build threads on this kit. Alcides original build in 1/50 Lloyd 40.16 Austro-Hungarian 1/50 WW1 Prototype (link to file download in comment #25), and Pericles' build in 1/100 Mate Amargo Models Lloyd 40.16 in 1/100 scale
Each thread has lots of useful information (more than my thread), for anyone wanting to build this interesting airplane.

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 11-15-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:18 AM

Thank you very much Don, I will take a look, here in the forum everything there is impressive to watch and learn.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:32 PM

Now she's looking like a biplane. The upper wing has an .05mm internal stiffener that I glued to the bottom inside of the wing before rolling over the top skin. It must be nice and flat for mounting directly to the top of the fuselage. The wing's supporting struts are just a couple of rectangular slabs that attach to the wing and fuselage. Easy peasy. Now that both wings are in place with their angled struts that confuse the eye, the banana is less apparent - unless you sight directly down the fuselage as in the third photo. Then you can clearly see how bad it is. I have never rebuilt a kit because of a defect, but in this case, I just might - I really love the look of this model, and I know I can build it better.

The only other thing I added was the wind screen. I glued it at the front center only, and when that was dry, pressed it down a bit and attached the pre-bent side panes to the fuselage.

Coming next: landing skid and control arms & cables.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydn.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydo.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydp.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydq.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydr.jpg  

1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloyds.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydt.jpg  
Old 11-21-2019, 08:29 AM

Newest additions to the Lloyd are control arms and cables, landing skid detail, and filler tube for the radiator. The control arms are made from 3 layers of 110 lb stock, cut into skinny triangles and mounted to both sides of ailerons, elevators and rudder. The cables are made from .012 guitar string, slid into holes in the wings and fuselage, and glued in place on the tops of the control arms with PVA.

All that's left to do now is to build and install the landing gear.
Attached Thumbnails
1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydu.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydv.jpg   1/50 Lloyd 40.16-lloydw.jpg  
Google Adsense