PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Thanks for the info Yoav, I didn't wet the paper but certainly used sticks with decreasing diameters to roll the tube into the right shape. With patience one gets there .

Erik
Try to wet the paper a little, and you will see how the work gets very easy.

YOAV
Old 04-12-2020, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
The final details

Well, the moment has arrived, the final bits and pieces are in place, in other words the model's finished!

I installed the landing lights on both main struts, which is a typical feature of the F16A. The C/D versions had the landing light on the inside of the front wheel door. Thanks to pictures Yoav sent I could figure out where to place them. I used the lights of the KK F-104G of which I luckily once made a copy, modified them slightly and glued them onto the main struts.

Also other small details such as static dischargers, antennas navigation lights and the like are done. For some of the lights I used several drops of glue to create a small bulb. Just one drop at a time, let it dry, and then another one. Usually three drops are sufficient to create the small hump.

Then a bit of weathering to the landing gear. I used a very light grey Tombow marker to create a shade effect and dry brush with Tamiya neutral grey and aluminium to create paint damage. I hope it's not overdone, as all pictures I found on the internet show well maintained and clean landing gears.

Finally, after the final coat of matt varnish, a touch-up of the lights with clear gloss.

So, to conclude this thread, herewith a few pictures of some of the details. A picture gallery of the completed model will follow in a few days.

A final note on blending the GPM F16C/D landing gear into Yoav's F16A. Although I'm quite satisfied with the end result, the position of the model is not exactly level, there's a slight tilt backwards. Probably if you don't know it you won't notice it, but still the builder knows...

I have cut off a small wedge of the front wheel, maybe a millimeter or so, which makes a bit of a difference but should you ever consider building the model in this way, be aware of the following:
  • I downsized it to 91% of the original size (1:30) in order to get 1:33
  • The GPM model is 1:33 too. but the C/D version has a bigger landing gear than the A version, so I reduced the GPM landing gear to 90% of its size, including the wheels
  • By doing so I noticed that the plane would not level and I ended up using the original size of the main wheels to raise the rear end by a few millimeters
  • In hindsight, had I used the original GPM main landing gear size (including wheels) in combination with the 90% reduced front wheel assembly, the model likely would have been exactly level.
In any case, it was all worth the effort and I thank you for following this thread!

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1726.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1727.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1736.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1737.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1738.jpg  

Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1741.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1739.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1740.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1742.jpg  
Old 04-12-2020, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Eric

Bravo on your superb work. Beautiful work on a beautiful model!!!!!

As always, none of Yoav's models have any landing gears which for folks like us is kind of lacking as we like to build the models on their landing gear. To me this is the one aspect slowing my building those models because it requires research and hand manipulation to make provisions for the landing gear bays, struts, doors and wheels. Is it a big deal? No. It is just a nice to have upfront.

I think it would be nice if we could have a depository of those extra parts from different builders and have those uploaded to the DGA site right along with those models.

These are superb designs that Yoav has done and I and many just love them!

Isaac
Old 04-12-2020, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Well Eric ...
In my opinion, the addition of dirt to the landing gears and to the landing gear bays has added a lot.
And now it fits to the faded and dirty look of the model.

at all...
The result of the whole model is spectacular.

take care my friend

YOAV
Old 04-12-2020, 11:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.66 MB
Is a outstanding job!

I take note for my F-16
Google Adsense
Old 04-13-2020, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Thank you Isaac, Yoav and Salvador. It's been my pleasure to share this build with you.

Regards,
Erik

Tags
1:33, f-16a, yoav hozmi