PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-19-2020, 10:39 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOAVHOZMI View Post
I'll say it again ... The model looks excellent, just amazing.
well done my friend.

What bothers me a little.....is that the landing gears and the landing gear bays are too white and clean compared to the dirty plane.
Is it possible to dirty a little bit? With brush and paint?

best regards

YOAV
Yoav,

Regarding the landing gear and wheel wells, the USAF kept these areas
clean and wiped down, to make it easier to check for leaks. If the areas
are clean and white, no problem. If we could see something discoloring
the areas, it might lead us to a leak in the strut or hydraulic system.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-20-2020, 12:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texman View Post
Yoav,

Regarding the landing gear and wheel wells, the USAF kept these areas
clean and wiped down, to make it easier to check for leaks. If the areas
are clean and white, no problem. If we could see something discoloring
the areas, it might lead us to a leak in the strut or hydraulic system.

hello Ray

As one who served in the Israeli Air Force, I know these procedures.

The Israeli Air Force also cleans the landing gears and the landing gear bays for the same reason.
But it is never as white and clean as the plane left the factory.

And in the end, the model represents an Israeli plane ... so I put pictures to illustrate an Israeli plane.

YOAV
Old 03-20-2020, 01:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Goodday Ray and Yoav, thanks for your comment. It's very logical to keep landing gears and bays as clean as possible as this is the best way during inspection to notice any issue. I'm just a private pilot (we call ourselves "the happy few"....) but landing gear inspection is also part of the pre-flight walk-around, and a clean landing gear makes inspection easier and more reliable.

Yoav, if you have actual IAF pictures to share, I would be very pleased. The pictures I found on the internet show very well maintained and clean undercarriages so don't disappoint us . Thank you for the effort.

And perhaps, wouldn't this be a good moment to consider including landing gears in your models ....?

Regards,
Erik
Old 03-20-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Goodday Ray and Yoav, thanks for your comment. It's very logical to keep landing gears and bays as clean as possible as this is the best way during inspection to notice any issue. I'm just a private pilot (we call ourselves "the happy few"....) but landing gear inspection is also part of the pre-flight walk-around, and a clean landing gear makes inspection easier and more reliable.

Yoav, if you have actual IAF pictures to share, I would be very pleased. The pictures I found on the internet show very well maintained and clean undercarriages so don't disappoint us . Thank you for the effort.

And perhaps, wouldn't this be a good moment to consider including landing gears in your models ....?

Regards,
Erik

The 3 pictures I put on the previous page are from the Israeli Air Force.

Regarding for landing gears in my models .... I'm not there yet.

YOAV
Old 03-20-2020, 10:47 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
There are no pictures in this post, a setting in your Google Photo album could be set incorrectly

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOAVHOZMI View Post
I'll say it again ... The model looks excellent, just amazing.
well done my friend.

What bothers me a little.....is that the landing gears and the landing gear bays are too white and clean compared to the dirty plane.
Is it possible to dirty a little bit? With brush and paint?

best regards

YOAV

"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2020, 10:32 AM

Wing fuel drop tanks

Gary, Gene K, thank you for kind words, and Texman and Yoav for the continued landing gear discussion. Also thanks to Yoav for sending a few very useful pictures regarding landing gear weathering. More on that to follow! The landing gear's not entirely finished yet.

In the mean time work on the wing loads continues. I have added the wing fuel drop tanks. Quite easy to make but rather time consuming given the numerous segments that make up each tank. I usually glue two or three segments together before adding the formers, in this way the segments can be combined more accurately.

As you can see the tanks are larger than you might expect at first.

Next are the remaining two sidewinders, and then the JDAM smart bombs....

Cheers and keep safe,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1660.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1661.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1663.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1664.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1665.jpg  

Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1666.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1667.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1668.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1669.jpg  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Wonderful Erik tanks, everything is impeccable.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 AM

All loads are finished

Thank you Sergio - I would say the design of the model certainly is impeccable, which makes it a joy to build.

Continued with my less favorite part of the build, two more sidewinders. Rolling the long tube that makes up the body of the missile can probably best be done when using thinner paper, say 120 grams, but I stuck to the 160 grams on which I printed all other parts. Probably not the easiest way but I first glued both ends longitudinally before inserting the dowel core. I didn't have the right thickness and needed to wrap thin paper around it before getting the right diameter. Anyway, job's done and all four sidewinders are in place.

Next were the JDAM smart bombs, consisting of 7 segments each, fitting very well, 4 fins and a kind of harness around the central section. Interesting feature and I included a few more pictures of the making process. When gluing the formers in place (on doubled paper), I used a circle template to ensure the proper shape. This also comes in very handy for pre-shaping the segments before gluing them together.

Well, everything's placed underneath the wings now, which is an impressive sight I must say, such a great model.

Next are the final details and some weathering. I have already applied a final coat of varnish at the wings and loads, as much to my horror two nights ago the print got damaged at certain areas, at the wing leading edges and fuel tanks. I hardly can imagine that it was the work of paper eating bugs only, perhaps paper or ink acidity as well and the fact that the model stood in some sunlight for a few days. I have no idea. It leaves nasty white spots, that have a rough surface.
But even varnish is not a 100% guarantee I have noticed some time ago.

Well, time to enjoy the nice spring weather, for as far as the current "intelligent lockdown" allows us to.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1672.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1673.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1674.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1685.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1686.jpg  

Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1687.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1688.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1691.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1692.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1693.jpg  

Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1694.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1697.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1698.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1700.jpg   Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1701.jpg  

Yoav's F-16A, 1:33, with landing gear-img_1702.jpg  
Old 04-05-2020, 11:40 AM

Eric my friend, the model came out stunning.
well done.

About small-diameter missiles
If we are dealing with 160 gr' paper, then in order to get a good result, gently wet the inside of the paper and then circle it on a larger diameter and then on a smaller diameter and then you get smooth-looking missile is obtained.

The moisture softens the paper and gives it extra flexibility and then it does not wrinkle while shaping it.
That's how I deal with small parts that need to shape them.

try this next time.

take care

YOAV

some pictures of the process.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:15 AM

Thanks for the info Yoav, I didn't wet the paper but certainly used sticks with decreasing diameters to roll the tube into the right shape. With patience one gets there .

Erik
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, f-16a, yoav hozmi