PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-06-2020, 11:19 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Rigby P-39 (WSAM)

This one wasn't on my new year's resolution list, but it was started and then abandoned in 2019. so I suppose it still counts. This is the 5th Rigby model that I've recolored/upgraded. It was originally published in the color Sunday funnies on Dec, 1, 1940. As published, it sported pre-war livery - blue fuselage, yellow wings and horizontal stabilizers with red and white striped rudder. I cleaned it up and recolored it as white 446 "The Virginian". From my past Rigby experiences, I knew the canopy would be pretty much unusable, so without even giving it a chance I borrowed one from a Marek P-39Q kit that I had purchased years ago but never built. To sit properly, this one needs some weight installed in the nose before closing it up. The lines aren't too bad, although the tail should be more rounded. I may do a lend-lease Soviet version as well.

Photos aren't the best.
Attached Thumbnails
Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-airacobra.jpg   Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-rigbyp-39a.jpg   Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-rigbyp-39b.jpg   Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-rigbyp-39c.jpg   Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-rigbyp-39d.jpg  

Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-rigbyp-39e.jpg   Rigby P-39 (WSAM)-rigbyp-39f.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2020, 12:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another outstanding Rigby, Don!

I haven't been doing any paper modeling lately due to other commitments, but this makes we want to dig into the backlog of Rigbys and finish them (Lil still has the "Darling Lil" Spitfire perched on the bookcase behind her sunroom chair).

Don too
Old 02-06-2020, 01:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Looks great, do these 'fly' if weighted?
Old 02-06-2020, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
That's a nice recolor. Is that available at all?
Old 02-06-2020, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, fellas. Check your email, Don. I've never tried to glide one Mike, but I don't see why they wouldn't fly with a bit of experimentation. Yes Ryan, I'll be making it available in the download section, joining the previous ones that I've done. I have also recolored the Rigby F4U Corsair prototype, and Boulton-Paul Defiant kits, but I want to test build those before I share. The Rigbys are simple models to be sure, but there's something very satisfying about building them.
Google Adsense
Old 02-06-2020, 02:44 PM

Location: Tultepec,Estado de México; about 30 Km to downtown Mexico, City
Total Downloaded: 1.36 GB
Rigbby has a Vultee P-66 as well. Nice and well done construction!!! Tony.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Thanks for the nice comments, fellas. Check your email, Don. I've never tried to glide one Mike, but I don't see why they wouldn't fly with a bit of experimentation. Yes Ryan, I'll be making it available in the download section, joining the previous ones that I've done. I have also recolored the Rigby F4U Corsair prototype, and Boulton-Paul Defiant kits, but I want to test build those before I share. The Rigbys are simple models to be sure, but there's something very satisfying about building them.
That’s great. I’m not building much with paper these days as it just won’t last with a 4 yo, but this might be worth a few flights before it’s death.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The similar Jack Armstrong aircraft were designed to be gliders.

I haven't tried it with the Rigby's that Don has been modifying, but based on past experience, I think you will be able to get them to glide if you laminate the wings with an additional thickness of paper, increase the size of the model to about an 8-inch wing span, leave off the prop and landing gear, and put enough weight in the nose so that the plane balances at the center of gravity (about 1/3 of the wing chord). The Jack Armstrong planes generally worked great with a U.S. penny in the nose, and you can do fine tuning with little bits of plasticine.

Don
Old 02-06-2020, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Great job with an old design.

Wyvern
Old 02-06-2020, 08:31 PM

I've recolored the Rigby P-66 Vanguard, Tony. It's available in the download section in 3 liveries: pre-war, WWII USAAC, and Chinese Air Force. Thanks, Wyvern. I really do enjoy building these simple little models.
Google Adsense