PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-20-2020, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.26 GB
Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden

Hi all,

An Airbus A-319-132 designed by Julius Perdana resized in 1/72 and recolored by John Bowden.

When I started this model of a civilian plane I already had built up some know-how in paper modelling through many military planes models. I thought it would be easy, cool and relaxing to build this A-319.
Actually I quickly discovered that the civilian paper models are very challenging. Unlike the military planes with their camouflage painting and weathering, that help in hidding minor defects on the models, the civilian planes usually are very clean. The models of these planes do not forgive any mistake, glue spot, wrinkle, misalignement.

Take care.
Attached Thumbnails
Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-1.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-2.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-3.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-4.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-5.jpg  

Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-6.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-7.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-8.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-9.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-11.jpg  

Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Very nice build! I downloaded the file and it is on my short list of airliners to build. I flew on this type a few times from Paris to Toulouse.

The one error I have noticed is that the designer rendered the engine fan blades as wide chord composite when in reality the CFM56-5 engines have straight metalic fan blades. But that is me since I worked on those engines.
Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-cfm56.jpg

Isaac
Old 02-20-2020, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Fine job! Been wanting to build that one myself....
Old 02-20-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Very nice build! I downloaded the file and it is on my short list of airliners to build. I flew on this type a few times from Paris to Toulouse.

The one error I have noticed is that the designer rendered the engine fan blades as wide chord composite when in reality the CFM56-5 engines have straight metalic fan blades. But that is me since I worked on those engines.
Attachment 407768

Isaac

Isaac,

There is also an other small flaw on this model, and seemingly on many other civilian plane models.
The dihedral of the wing is omitted (the two half-wings are put together by mean of a flat spar …).

There is another feature of the wings of modern planes that is not taken into account on the models. The flexible wings of the most modern planes make them look like gliders. The wings are bent upward when the plane is in flight. It would be great having such a look for our models when presented “in flight”. (I have already pointed out this potential improvement in an other thread).

Cheers.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Great work!!! Looks so satisfying!!!!
Old 02-20-2020, 10:27 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Thumbs up

Nice job!

Thanks for the suggestions guys........anything to make the model more realistic is much appreciated.

I can change the engine blades Isaac if you'd send me a good front view close up of what they are supposed to be.........

Wing dihedral can be an easy fix with the bending of a glue soaked spar and letting it set in the shape you want............

Thanks for posting the pictures of your finished build PICARDIE!

My Drawings
Old 02-20-2020, 11:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.42 GB
Something like this?Not sure if it's the correct variant.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:58 AM

I just looked at my copy of the model. Doesn't the wing former on Page 11 give enough dihedral?
Attached Thumbnails
Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-img_9025.jpg  
Old 02-21-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I just looked at my copy of the model. Doesn't the wing former on Page 11 give enough dihedral?
Nope, when assembled together, these parts create a "spar-box" very robust but flat. It cannot be bent. A possible option to add some dihedre to the wing would be scoring in the middle the upper and lower parts (large ones) of the S-B and cutting / removing a "V" in the middle of the vertical walls of the S-B, prior assembling the parts.

The key question is : how many degrees the dihedre or the "V" ...?
Old 02-21-2020, 01:30 PM

The A319/20/21 family have a wing dihedral of 5.11 degrees. When I built my A321 awhile back, I compared it to three-view drawings I found online and the build seemed to match.

But, yeah, the wings flex when the plane is airborne. The plane I've wondered about building is the A380; the wing has a definite curve in it when it is on the ground, but straightens out when the plane is airborne.
Attached Thumbnails
Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-img_5793.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-img_5797.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-img_9027.jpg   Airbus A-319 / Perdana - Bowden-img_9028.jpg  
Google Adsense