PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-22-2020, 06:18 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thank you for resurrecting this old thread, CaptJ, and my thanks to those who recently commented. Many of my Rigby recolors in the download section don't have a title that specify that it is a Rigby model. But, if the upload is by rockpaperscissor, and it's an airplane, it'll be a Rigby. I can't remember if I uploaded the Wildcat yet. I'll have to look. Good observation on the machine guns, CaptJ. Judging by the cowl guns, and the 4 rectangular viewing ports in the fuselage, I would say that as drawn, this is a model of the XF4F-2 prototype. Since I've changed the livery, I'll make the necessary changes to the model. If I can find a colored image of the prototype, I'll offer that one too. I have several more recolors done, but I like to beta build the model before offering them to the group. They are imprecisely drawn, and often require digital "surgery" to make them buildable. I'm sure the dimensions are way off, but these simple Rigby's were never intended to be spot on accurate anyway. If you can tell at a glance that it's a Spitfire, or a Hurricane, then they have accomplished their purpose.

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 04-22-2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 PM

The Wildcat is awaiting approval from moderator. File includes 2 models: XF4F-2 prototype and "Felix" liveries.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:40 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
file has been approved
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 614.80 MB
Love the photo of the prototype. But where did Rigby get the idea there was a spinner? Never heard of one on a Wildcat - was that sheer fancy?
Old 04-23-2020, 04:38 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Rob, the prototype did have a small spinner. Not sure how long it lasted before they did away with it.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Google Adsense
Old 04-23-2020, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
XF4Fs With Spinners

Another excellent updated Rigby, Don! After my Japanese class ends in a week or so, I look forward to finishing the P-39 and building this one.

As Ray says, the XF4F-2 prototype was tested with a small spinner and later, redesignated as XF4F-3, had a large spinner installed. One of the initial production F4F-3s (BuNo1845) was also tested with a large spinner.

Image 1: XF4F-2 BuNo 0383 (Andrew Seybel photo) available from Aerofiles at Grumman

Image 2: XF4F-2 BuNo 0383 available from worldwarphotos at https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gall.../f4f/xf4f-3-2/

Image 3: F4F-3 BuNo 1845 undergoing tests at Langley. Available from https://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11704609

I also referred to Mitch Mayborn et al, Grumman Guidebook: American Aircraft Series Book 4, Dallas, TX, Flying Enterprise Publications, 1976.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-grum-xf4f2_buno0383aerofiles.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-grumman_xf4f-3_buno0383-worlwarphotosr.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-f4f-3_at_naca_langley_1941r.jpg  
Old 04-23-2020, 07:16 AM

Another Image of an F4F-3 with Spinner

I also found this color image of F4F-3 BuNo 1845. Note that the early F4F-3s also had guns in the cowling. Given the overall shape of the fuselage and vertical stabilizer, I think this was the airplane that Rigby was working from, especially since, with a temporary BuNo of 1863 and Navy markings, it was exhibited at the New York World's Fair in 1940.

Source: https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/wp-c...-guns-1940.jpg

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wc1-early-f4f-3-prop-spinner-cowl-guns-1940-buno1845_flyingtigersr.jpg  
Old 04-23-2020, 09:45 AM

Great photos, Don. The vertical stab of the F-3 is certainly a better match to the Rigby kit, and it has a spinner - but it only has two floor windows. The F-2 has 4 four floor windows as does the Rigby kit. The model seems to be a mash up of the two air frames. When built, the model is immediately identifiable as a Wildcat, and I think that was all that Wallis Rigby was shooting for.
Old 04-23-2020, 10:20 AM

Yes. The Rigby's were what flying model builders call semi-scale or stand-off scale. As you say, the important thing is that they were recognizable as specific airplane types. I think the 1940-41 F4F-3 with the spinner and nose guns was a very pretty airplane.

Thanks very much for making these Rigby's with your buildability and other improvements available. Much appreciated.

Don
Old 04-23-2020, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Who would have thought that one could learn so much history, just discussing a Rigby model! Thanks to all for my enlightenment, and Don, that is a great repaint and cleanup.

John
Google Adsense