PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-22-2020, 09:37 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Rigby Wildcat (Beta)

Well, my new year's resolution is officially shot to h3ll. This is a 2020 model, not an unfinished one from 2019. After this though, it's definitely back to 2019 (maybe).

Anyway, this is Rigby's Grumman Wildcat, originally published in the color Sunday funnies on March 30, 1941. It's had a facelift as you can see, and is as close as I could get to the VF.3 Wildcat piloted by Lt. Cmdr. J.S. Thach.

I'm calling this a beta build, since I have made quite a few corrections to the model post build: modified the canopy, sliding canopy track angle changed, fuselage side livery rotated a bit, machine guns moved more to the top of the cowl, break in two color cowl ring corrected. Besides all these needed modifications, my Krylon flat coat spit white spots all over, so the model you see here has already found a new home in the circular file. I will build another one soon to add to my Rigby recolor collection.

I'll get this one into the download section soon for anyone who might be interested in building it.
Attached Thumbnails
Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-grumman-wildcat.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcata.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcatb.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcatc.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcatd.jpg  

Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcate.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcatf.jpg   Rigby Wildcat (Beta)-wildcatg.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see another RPS-Rigby!

Don
Old 02-22-2020, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Like the previous ones, looks excellent Don!
Old 02-23-2020, 06:01 AM

Thanks for your comments, fellas. I really enjoy building these simple vintage models. They're quick and easy, and after repainting they look pretty good, too.
Old 03-03-2020, 07:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Man I would love to get my hands on a few of these... does anybody know where I can get them (free or for sale).
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2020, 09:11 AM

A number of my Rigby recolors are available in the download section: Spitfire, Hurricane, P-66 Vanguard in several liveries, P-39 Airacobra in several liveries, Westland Lysander. There's threads for them all here in forum also.
Old 03-04-2020, 01:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
Sweet... I will check them out, thank you!
Old 04-21-2020, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 87.70 MB
First of all, it is these Rigby models that you and possibly others have been uploading that brought me to this forum. Thank you for preserving and restoring these old models! I'm looking forward to downloading and building some!

With that said, I found it strange that Rigby put machine guns in the cowl area of the Wildcat as all the versions I knew of had 2 or 3 in each wing. A quick google search eventually brought to light that there was indeed a version with machine guns in the cowl, called the G-36A which seems to have been a short lived export to France before it fell.

I just wanted to let you know in case you wanted to change it around for different versions, seeing as this color is an American version. Thank you again for sharing your work!
Old 04-21-2020, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
A number of my Rigby recolors are available in the download section: Spitfire, Hurricane, P-66 Vanguard in several liveries, P-39 Airacobra in several liveries, Westland Lysander. There's threads for them all here in forum also.
What I like about these models is that you may finish them (in a relatively fast way)
Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.72 MB
Beauty recolor and clean build Don!
Google Adsense