PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-23-2020, 02:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery

Now I remember why I don’t build many airplanes…. I’m out of practice, so I decided to try Murph’s DHC-6 Twin Otter in the colors of the U.S. Forest Service. The USFS operates two DHC-6-300 Twin Otters, based in McCall, Idaho, to deliver smokejumpers and cargo. This model is of N141Z.

The model is generally well-designed and most of the issues I encountered were my own doing. I resized the model from 1/41 to the more-common 1/48. I ditched the joiner strips and instead, double-printed the fuselage formers, capping each fuselage section with a former and then gluing the sections together. That created some issues, and were I to build the model again (which I’d do if Murph offered the Twin Otter flown by NOAA or the RCAF ones in United Nations colors) I’d probably just follow the instructions.

Also, if I were to build it again, I’d add some sort of spar passing through the tail for the horizontal stabilizer. And in looking at the photos, I see a couple of areas I need to touch up. Oh well. We’re never done with these models….

Murph’s model is fairly Spartan, detail-wise, so I added all the necessary antennas, aerials, strengthening strips, door latches and hinges, lights, pitots, windshield wipers, static wick dischargers and other bits. There is a fairly prominent fairing of that runs along the bottom of the fuselage that is not included in the model, so I built one out of shaped cardstock. Similarly, there is an exhaust on the bottom of each engine that isn’t included on the model, so I scratchbuilt them out of cardstock.

The wheels and forward landing gear got a complete overhaul. For the tires, I cut disks of cereal box cardboard and glues them to the appropriate thickness, then sanded them to shape. The forward landing gear strut was scratchbuilt. Before closing up the front of the fuselage, I glued in some weight just to make sure the plane wouldn’t be a tail-sitter.

I couldn’t find detailed photos showing where the anti-collision beacon goes on the bottom of the fuselage; if anyone knows, just holler and I’ll add it. Also, you have to be careful using photos when modeling the various aerials and antennas because each USFS Twin Otter differs from the other.

Most photos of USFS Twin Otters I found online show the propellers feathered when parked, so I modeled that. Also, I couldn’t find any photos of either USFS aircraft with red stripes on the propeller blades, but there is some sort of stripe, so I printed the blades in black and white.

All in all, it was a fun project and I’ve always liked the look and utilitarian nature of the Twin Otter. I just need to be more careful because like a white car, plain white cardstock picks up every smudge imaginable.

Maybe I should add the USFS Cobra when Murph comes out with that….
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9481.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9482.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9483.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9485.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9489.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2020, 03:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
A very nicely built airframe.
Old 05-23-2020, 05:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
A great looking model. You did a very nice job.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-23-2020, 05:35 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Dave that came out very well. Nice work.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 06-07-2020, 02:05 PM

When I built Yukonjohn’s UN repaint of Murph’s Twin Otter, I fashioned an internal former with legs protruding from the fuselage so the main landing gear would be aligned at the correct angle. I had built the U.S. Forest Service Twin Otter previously and had trouble with the main gear assembles. Plus, going from photos I could find online, the plane seemed to sit too low.

Aside from the alignment issue, I screwed up the right main gear sponson and leg on the USFS build and no matter what I’d try, the right leg wouldn’t stay in place. I tried beefing up the joint with wood glue. It drooped. I tried super glue. It still drooped. With each attempted fix, things got uglier.

I decided to remove the old sponsons/legs and add new ones, and install a former like the one I used in my build of Yukonjohn’s model. I stuck a new No. 11 blade in my Xacto knife, mustered my courage and began cutting. I’d either fix the model or ruin it.

The sponsons and legs came off easily. I cut holes in the fuselage (they’d be hidden by the new sponsons) and installed the former and glued it in place. The new sponsons and legs went on just fine and I made new axles for the wheels out of paper popsicle sticks. Got everything on and aligned, opened the level app on my iPhone and, sure enough, I had level wings.

I stuck the model next to the UN Twin Otter and started thinking, “Gee, it looks kind of boring sitting next to my UN build with its dropped flaps and all.” I thought, “Hey, it is Sunday afternoon, so why don’t I scratchbuild a set of inboard double-slotted flaps and drop them?”

A couple of hours (and some do-or-die wing surgery) later, I had dropped flaps. Now the plane looks a bit more exciting….
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9545.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9603.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9601.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9602.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Raising the bar once more.

Don
Old 06-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I've seen somewhere a variation of this idea with leg formers.I use another variation with tubular legs and struts.Isn't working with paper wondelful?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Very nice work post surgery.

John
Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I usually use a piece of wire to reinforce landing gear
Old 06-07-2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I usually use a piece of wire to reinforce landing gear
The few times I've built airplanes, I usually build them gear-up so I don't have to deal with such issues. Plus, to me, airplanes look cooler in flight.

I suppose would work, but we've gotten rid of all our wire coat hangers so I didn't have any wire handy. My concern with the Twin Otter's main gear was it needed something to hold each leg at the same angle. I suppose if there were a template for forming the wire -- and some way of affixing the wire to the inside of the fuselage to assure symmetry -- that would be a solution, too.

Here are both of them together:
Attached Thumbnails
Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9608.jpg   Murph's DHC-6 Twin Otter in USFS livery-img_9607.jpg  

Last edited by dhanners; 06-07-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Google Adsense