PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.13 GB
What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....

I have been doing some recolors of Rigby models in an attempt to stay as sane as possible. I have done several, including a B-17, it is not as easy as I thought it would be but it is still fun. I have not yet tried to build any of them or the SD B-17s I drew because the Docs have me on some meds that cause me to vibrate like a Harley-Davidson with a loose spark plug wire. here are some low rez copies of a few of them.
Attached Thumbnails
What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-curtis-hawk2a-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-defiant-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-navy-f-4-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-p-39-1a-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-spitfire-lowrez.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
They look pretty good to me

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Thank you very much.
I am at the other side of the super-detailed spectrum.
I like simple models that I can construct fast (a relative term) usually one pagers with minimum parts but preserving volume shape!
Thank you again.

ps are you considering other recolors?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:10 PM

I have a few more that I am working on including Rigby's B-17. I would like to make sure they go together ok but right now I can't get them built. I will post a few more ASAP.
Thanks, Dan
Old 03-27-2020, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
We're lucky. We have hobbies.
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2020, 04:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Nicely done mate, might even fly with some tuning and not so difficult to build to be worried if the fail in part one of how to fly, "Throw yourself at the ground and, miss". Stay as well as you can mates.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:53 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
They look great! I've recolored and built a number of these myself, Spitfire, Hurricane, Airacobra, Wildcat, P-66, Lysander. Threads are in the forum for most of them. Recolored but not yet built are Rigby's Corsair prototype, Douglas A20, Boulton Paul Defiant. You've carried your recolors a little further than I did, and they really are terrific.

I did come across some issues during the build(s), and often the first attempt was a failure. The primary problem area is where the front and rear sections of the fuselage meet up. Print out a low res draft copy, and measure the dimensions of where the halves join - sides and bottom. They rarely match up. Also, there is a lack of symmetry from side to side. I sometimes found it easier to just select half of each fuselage section, and mirror it to correct this. The canopies are terrible, and are rarely usable as is (the P-66 is an exception, if I remember correctly). The tail planes are floppy, so I always stiffened them by scoring the horizontal stabilizers and bending them down.

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 03-28-2020 at 06:13 AM.
Old 03-28-2020, 10:23 AM

A Few More

Thanks everyone! @Don later I would like to redo these using my cad program. I did notice the models lacked symmetry and as for the canopies I have tried to fix them as best I could some of them were very poorly done. This is a fun project and helps pass the time. Here are a couple more.
Attached Thumbnails
What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-curtis-hawk2-show-paint-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-hawker-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-dive-bomber-lowrez.jpg   What I'm doing to Stay Sane.....sort of....-p-39-2a-lowrez.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:37 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Wonderful recolors! I was confused on the British "dive bomber" as well. I searched high and low for an image of something RAF that was close, but I came up empty. I didn't think to look at other nationalities.