PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > > >

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 07-27-2020, 06:47 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hi Tom/Olo, beautiful work on the flaps/brakes. 320 holes..... Your Dauntless looks splendid. I notice the surface is a bit shiny, did you spray the model with satin (semi matt/gloss) varnish?

I usually spray the sheets with a very light varnish coat before starting to cut, to protect the print of the paper and it also prevents marker ink (for edge coloring) to spread. The varnish blocks the paper pores so for gluing purpose the first coat shouldn't be too thick.

Excellent work!

Erik

I did spray the paper before cutting with mat varnish,but also sprayed second coat after build with also mat varnish guess one coat should be enough ..I am still in learning process thank you for great suggestion
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 07-27-2020, 08:53 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Eric if you look at the pictures of Dauntless in museums the paint looks quite shiny too....also it looks like because i had direct light on while taking pictures


SBD-3 Dauntless-pof_sbd_21.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-sbd-3.jpg
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 07-28-2020, 08:25 AM
Erik Zwaan's Avatar
Erik Zwaan Erik Zwaan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Leiden area, The Netherlands
Posts: 1,956
Total Downloaded: 26.96 MB
Indeed quite shiny, but it may have been polished by the museum?

Regards,
Erik
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 07-28-2020, 08:33 AM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Indeed quite shiny, but it may have been polished by the museum?

Regards,
Erik

more likely it is the paint that was used and lighting ...my model in natural light doesnt look that shiny but if you place it under direct light than you see shines
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 07-28-2020, 09:14 AM
CIUTTSO's Avatar
CIUTTSO CIUTTSO is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 41
Total Downloaded: 66.56 MB
I always believe it's difficult to choose between flat or gloss (or semigloss) finish on paper aircraft models... On real models it depends if the base is metal, fabric or wood, a new coat or aged paint.. I use to airbrush a semigloss coat on aircraft paper models sheets before start building and aply a soft brush matt coat on "fabric" or semigloss on "metal or wood" built models.
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
  #116  
Old 07-28-2020, 10:52 AM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIUTTSO View Post
I always believe it's difficult to choose between flat or gloss (or semigloss) finish on paper aircraft models... On real models it depends if the base is metal, fabric or wood, a new coat or aged paint.. I use to airbrush a semigloss coat on aircraft paper models sheets before start building and aply a soft brush matt coat on "fabric" or semigloss on "metal or wood" built models.

I covered mine with mat varnish but even though it is mat still gives you a bit of flash under direct lamp light
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 07-28-2020, 05:43 PM
Lex's Avatar
Lex Lex is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, Britannia
Posts: 1,516
Total Downloaded: 67.42 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
Well, gloss in itself is not an issue here. Most everyday material are glossy to some extent, one way or the other.

What makes gloss bad on cardmodels is because the panels and rivets are printed, they will be lost in the reflection. Such details on plastic models are raised/sunk and will be perfectly visible even with a very glossy paint, but not on here.

I try to manually dent the rivets and panels if I find the paper/print is too reflective, it does resolve the issue once and for all, but adds quite a lot of work.
__________________
"The world is big"
Active: Fuyuzuki, XP55 Ascender, Zao, Zara
On hold: Akizuki, Ise
Past works: Seafang F32, IS-3, Spitfire V, Chengdu J-20, DH Comet 4B
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 07-29-2020, 07:09 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex View Post
Well, gloss in itself is not an issue here. Most everyday material are glossy to some extent, one way or the other.

What makes gloss bad on cardmodels is because the panels and rivets are printed, they will be lost in the reflection. Such details on plastic models are raised/sunk and will be perfectly visible even with a very glossy paint, but not on here.

I try to manually dent the rivets and panels if I find the paper/print is too reflective, it does resolve the issue once and for all, but adds quite a lot of work.
Good point although I used thin layer of mat varnish so rivets are still visible....
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 07-31-2020, 12:00 PM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
I dont have much time lately but managed to add elevators so wings are completed now.

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200731_133524.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200731_133532.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200731_133552.jpg
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 08-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Olo Olo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Milton, Ontario
Posts: 438
Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Getting closer to the end of the story.... Propeller completed....
SBD-3 Dauntless-20200805_232334.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200805_232449.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200806_114926.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200806_114931.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200806_114941.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200806_114956_hdr.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200806_115014_hdr.jpg
__________________
Passion is the key....
Reply With Quote
Login to remove ads
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 8.33%
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
Copyright © 2007-2020, Paper Modelers.com