PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-15-2020, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
SBD-3 Dauntless

Hello again After finishing HMS hood my next project is a bit smaller. I picked SBD-3 Dauntless. This model will be a replica of SBD-3 from VS-2 Squadron that based on an aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Pilot was John Leppla and gunner John Liska. The kit is from Military model and contains 802 parts plus all parts that are for all frames. The scale of the model is 1:33. If any one knows any good links to good pictures especially interior and details pictures please kindly share. At reviewing the kit I noticed that parts are over the place so I created a spreadsheet with parts numbers by each page so it will be easier to find a part during the build. If anyone will be using this kit it might be handy please contact me and I can share since i can't post excel file here...
SBD-3 Dauntless-20200415_132756.jpg

Last edited by Olo; 04-15-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 04-16-2020, 08:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
Hello Olo,

You chose a very interesting aircraft to model. I was reading a book about the aircraft carriers batles for Guadalcanal, and John Leppla was one of the "stars" in this battles, he is a navy ace with 5 IJN aircraft shot down. Becam MIA IN October 1942.

I have a lot of cockpit pictures and other detail pictures, I can e-mail to you if you provide me your e-mail. Additinaly, you can fined detail pictures at this link

SBD-5 Dauntless Walk Around Page 1

Shalom Mor
Old 04-16-2020, 09:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Hmmmm...., the Dauntless from Halinski! A very good choice. I have this model on my to do pile as well and I fully agree with you, the pages are packed with parts and they are seemingly all over the place. It's good to properly study the pages in advance and funny to notice that you also set up an Excel sheet to bring order in the parts chaos, and equally important, to check if the part concerned is also indicated in an assembly drawing (which is not always the case...). There's a mismatch somewhere in the canopy numbers I remember.

Good luck with your build, I will definitely follow your progress. By the way, a very detailed report of the build of this model is available on Kartonbau.de: https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema...33/#post354982

Regards,
Erik
Old 04-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
olo will be following you on this one all the best
Old 04-16-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mor54 View Post
Hello Olo,

You chose a very interesting aircraft to model. I was reading a book about the aircraft carriers batles for Guadalcanal, and John Leppla was one of the "stars" in this battles, he is a navy ace with 5 IJN aircraft shot down. Becam MIA IN October 1942.

I have a lot of cockpit pictures and other detail pictures, I can e-mail to you if you provide me your e-mail. Additinaly, you can fined detail pictures at this link

SBD-5 Dauntless Walk Around Page 1

Shalom Mor
I read some historical book about coral sea battle and John Leppla shot down 5 Japanese planes in one action. Here is the nice photo of him(right person on the picture)

SBD-3 Dauntless-1456369065173.jpg

It would be great if you could send me pictures..I am sending you my email now. Thank you so much...
Old 04-16-2020, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Hmmmm...., the Dauntless from Halinski! A very good choice. I have this model on my to do pile as well and I fully agree with you, the pages are packed with parts and they are seemingly all over the place. It's good to properly study the pages in advance and funny to notice that you also set up an Excel sheet to bring order in the parts chaos, and equally important, to check if the part concerned is also indicated in an assembly drawing (which is not always the case...). There's a mismatch somewhere in the canopy numbers I remember.

Good luck with your build, I will definitely follow your progress. By the way, a very detailed report of the build of this model is available on Kartonbau.de: https://www.kartonbau.de/forum/thema...33/#post354982

Regards,
Erik
Hello Erik again Thanks for shearing great link of the great build on kartonbau... It is going to be great source for me... I learn while biulding HMS Hood that even small mistake is unforgettable. Halinski's models are great but no room for any mistakes so I need to be very careful on each step
Old 04-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
olo will be following you on this one all the best

Thanks, I will try my best to keep you interested in this build
Old 04-18-2020, 01:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Good luck on this journey, I'll be strapping myself in too, looking forward to seeing what you do with this iconic bird.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 04-18-2020, 07:24 PM

First pictures of my new build. Main floor of the plane, also steering system with pedals....only thing I made 3d was the floor crate .I used .2 mm wire to match exactly the size of printed lines ...
SBD-3 Dauntless-20200416_144734.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200417_003926.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200418_210402.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200418_210420.jpg

SBD-3 Dauntless-20200418_210428.jpg
Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Very clean and precise work so far.

We are approaching the anniversary of the Battle of the Coral Sea.

Don
Google Adsense