PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-30-2020, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.92 GB
Robert Conrad Tibute-Bruno's 1/300 Corsair

Greetings all!

As a child of the 1970's, I loved to watch Baa Baa Blacksheep/Blacksheep Squadron. With the recent passing of actor Robert Conrad, and having never built a Corsair all these years, I felt an F4U build was in order.
I wanted a quick build, so I chose Bruno VanHecke's excellent 1/300 scale Corsair. The base with the VMF-214 Blacksheep Squadron insignia, I designed myself.

R.I.P. Robert Conrad
Attached Thumbnails
Robert Conrad Tibute-Bruno's 1/300 Corsair-r.i.p.-robert-conrad.jpg   Robert Conrad Tibute-Bruno's 1/300 Corsair-blacksheep-corsair_1.jpg   Robert Conrad Tibute-Bruno's 1/300 Corsair-blacksheep-corsair_2.jpg   Robert Conrad Tibute-Bruno's 1/300 Corsair-blacksheep-corsair_3.jpg   Robert Conrad Tibute-Bruno's 1/300 Corsair-blacksheep-corsair_5.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 05-30-2020, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
I did not know that Robert Conrad had left. I was fascinated by that series. You have done a magnificent job and a nice tribute to who made us spend pleasant moments.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
For some reason I miss this.
Thank you!

ps I also enjoyed the show very much, although the background flights always look like California and not the Pacific. Forgivable artistic and production licenses.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:12 AM

Thank you Vinalssergio 155!
Old 06-03-2020, 10:14 AM

Thank you wireandpaper!

More Corsair builds to come, thanks to the generous works of Bruno VanHecke.
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2020, 02:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.01 GB
Good move Thunderbolt, it was my favorite show when I was growing up. It did affect me a lot as I wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force...
R.I.P. Mr Conrad, you really did play the role of "Pappy" with great success and paying tribute to the real Major.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Nice model in such a small scale!

Apparently, the real Pappy Boyington and the surviving Black Sheep were not fans of the show, and Boyington was not a fan of Conrad.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I heard once that Boyington wanted Bill Conrad for the part, but the studio called in the wrong guy, who blew them away in the read-throughs, so when they found that they called the wrong guy, they didn't want to change
Old 06-04-2020, 11:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
The Black Sheep season #1 showed up recently at Goodwill. The show had many weak points, but shared so many people with the later JAG series, it's as though Black Sheep were a school for actors, writers, and directors.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
The studio actually thought it was inviting *William* Conrad - who looked like balding, paunchy Pappy Boyington - for the audition, and Robert Conrad was summoned by mistake ... but so impressed the studio with his cocky pugnacious - ergo very Boyington - manner and delivery that they wisely hired him.

Conrad took up flying thanks to the series.

He had 2 wives - the second was Miss Teenage America for her year and very young when they got married - and remained on very good terms with both after the divorces. He sired 8 children and had *18* grandchildren. He was a German-American by the name of Falkowski from Chicago.

I remember reading that the stunningly beautiful Janet Leigh - Psycho shower scene - Welsh Princess Morgana in The Vikings - disproportionately well endowed for her otherwise slim blonde North European American figure - daughter Jamie Curtis inherited that - and Conrad had an ongoing relationship at Janet's ski resort. Some strapping Swede lipped off there and not-tall Conrad punched him out.

Boyington would have approved.

He said that later assassinated young Chicago mobster and briefly B movie actor Michael Spilotro was his best friend.

Last edited by LouCoatney; 06-05-2020 at 04:19 AM.
Google Adsense