PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-03-2021, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Cool CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint

The topic of this build is Skyline paper models Bombrardier CRJ-200 regional jet.

The original Jazz model was repainted by our friend Gary , aka MacSongLi,

This will be the Air Canada white and black livery ( as in generic, low cost ).

The scale is 1/72.

A note about scale : most airliners are in the 1:120 or 1/144, 1/200 which is fine for small areas since they can get quite large. A 1/33 would really be nice, but will require lots of attention to detail and also must be strong in every respect. This is a 1:72 scale which is compatible with plastic models. It is an unusual scale for paper, but I found it to be easy to work with. I plan to build a few more at that rare scale.

pics from the web
CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-ramp-pic.jpgCRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-another-side.pngCRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-side-picture.jpg

details soon.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 03-03-2021, 04:58 PM

Cool Description

The CRJ-200 can easily trace its roots to the Challenger 600 business jet.
CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-challenger.jpg

Did you know that the Challenger can trace its roots to Bill Lear ( of Learjet ) design? It was a first wide cabin business jet. However, Lear never built it and sold the design to Canadair.
CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-learstar-600.jpg

Bombardier Challenger 600 series - Wikipedia

Canadair developed it and the first version of this plane was powered by a pair of Lycoming ALF 502 engines. Those early super jets were normal height cabins with clear floors. The early versions with the Lycoming engines had reliability and maintenance issues and soon were replaced in production with the General Electric CF-34 engines. The CF-34 is the commercial derivative of the TF-34 engine that powers the A-10 Thunderbolt 2 and the S-3 Viking ( which I had the privilege to support while at GE ).

Canadair then picked up on the aviation boom that started in the late 1980's and early 1990's and decided to enlarge the Challenger and modify for short haul usage that carried 50 passengers ( there were various seat arrangements ) . Those jets competed directly with most turboprops that carried between 19 and 30 passengers as well as the few that carried 50 passengers.

The appeal to the flying public was a delusional stigma that propellers are so last century, clunky, noisy and slow. So in comes this plane that looks like you are flying a business jet and gets you there fast. fast and sexy looking.

The plane sold like hot cakes. However, Canadair never capitalized on the price of the plane and sold it mostly at low cost that constricted profits. So even though they flooded the market, they never commanded a good price for it. Lesson learned is do not give away your products unless you will get something equivalent in return. And since airplanes do not need to have parts replaced as in engine components, tires or brakes, there is really no spare parts profits here.
CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-ramp-pic.jpg

Bombardier CRJ100/200 - Wikipedia

Canadair went bankrupt ( what else is new ) due to a variety of reasons not all entirely their fault, and the company was taken over by Bombardier. Bombardier had no aviation experience, but was deemed by the Canadian government as the most suitable to carry on aviation business ( not the best run companies that actually was inches from bankruptcy themselves).

The CRJ-200 was in service far and wide. It flew mostly routes less than 500 miles. However, airline strategy of Hub and Spoke used the planes on sometime ridiculous routes as short as 15 minutes flight time ( as in Delta-ComAir flights from Cincinnati and Dayton Ohio. I took those flight numerous times and called them the "Space Shuttle flights" because as soon as the plane took off and got to 15,000 ft in a few minutes, the engines went to flight idle and the plane practically glided in for a landing the last 5 minutes.

More soon.

Isaac
Old 03-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Isaac,

Thank you for the background on the CRJ (now part of Mitsubishi).

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-03-2021, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
Air Canada's "Bandit" paint scheme (other's call it the "Racoon" scheme) was my favorite of their themes.

There's an easier paint scheme for the CRJ-200. Skywest has one based here in Phoenix that is all white, except for blue winglets.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
Air Canada's "Bandit" paint scheme (other's call it the "Racoon" scheme) was my favorite of their themes.

There's an easier paint scheme for the CRJ-200. Skywest has one based here in Phoenix that is all white, except for blue winglets.
I do like the racoon look around the windshield.

As far as easy paint scheme are all the white planes that got off their lease and scooped up by "fly by night" cargo carriers.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 03-04-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
Isaac,

Thank you for the background on the CRJ (now part of Mitsubishi).

Gary
Mitsubishi is another basket case manufacturer that can't seem to get it right. They are years behind in getting their own MRJ design developed and certified and their previous forays into business jets like the MU-2 and the Diamond jets were limited in production and success and got sold off to other companies ( like Beech ).

Bombardier bumbled the regional jet business and then squandered their resources on the large mini 737 look alike that they had no money nor expertise designing and building ( Airbus got the project for a song and entered production as the A220 ). On top of that the Quebec government threw over a Billion $$ in loans and grants that also went nowhere ( I was stationed at BA in Montreal when this happened ).

I suspect that Mitsubishi just wants the expertise and knowledge and money stream from support and maintenance until they are ready to go it again with their own fresh design.

Isaac
Old 03-04-2021, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
On top of that the Quebec government threw over a Billion $$ in loans and grants that also went nowhere ( I was stationed at BA in Montreal when this happened ).

Isaac,

The rest of the Canadian taxpayers kicked in many billions over the years to Bombardier.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-04-2021, 05:07 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSongLi View Post
Isaac,

The rest of the Canadian taxpayers kicked in many billions over the years to Bombardier.

Gary
Same in the USA when they baled out the auto industry back in 2008.

Isaac
Old 03-04-2021, 06:06 PM

Cool The model

The model design is straight forward and the parts fit well.
CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-img_3761.jpg

There are multiple pages of written instruction ( which I do not read because I am a visual learner ), and lots of illustration ( from the computer design ) which are extremely useful.

CRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-slide1.jpgCRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-slide2.jpgCRJ-200 regional jet 1/72 Gary's repaint-slide3.jpg

Isaac
Old 03-04-2021, 07:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I did once a service call in a cafeteria of Bombardier assembly hangar in Downsview.I had a chance of seeing a couple of those being assembled and tested. Pretty birds and very ,very clean hangar.Lots of computerized testing going on.

Thank you for showing us this model.
Google Adsense