PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 05-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
*Checks pulse*

Nope, still dead from the awesome work!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I woke up to your walk around photo shoot, Mike. It's a fitting culmination of one of the greatest model building projects, build threads, and narratives ever. We are all very lucky to have been along for this incredible journey. Many thanks for making us all part of the adventure. And best wishes for your future endeavors.

Don
Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Umm Mike,

I don't know how to tell you this, but did this aircraft have a convertible option on the Tail Gunner position?

Just asking, you know
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
....but did this aircraft have a convertible option on the Tail Gunner position?
*sigh* There's always one joker in the bunch.....Well Rick, truth be told (looks around to be sure no one else is listening) I lost the original part of the canopy that was cut off. I was going to lay it on the stabilizer for the pics, but it was nowhere to be found. I have lots off spares, so will cut out the require portion from one of those in time for it's public debut at the Army Heritage event.

Thank you all for the kind words and well wishes. I feel kind of lost at the moment. I don't think it's sunk in yet that the model is (ahem) *mostly* done (see above...).

I'll post a final commentary later tonight or tomorrow after I had a chance to collect my thoughts. In the meantime some last pics before I took down my makeshift photo shoot area:

Mike
Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I'm going to miss this one everytime I open my my mail;
Reply to thread 'Orlik PBJ-1H Mitchell':o
Thanks Mike for keeping us drooling for almost a year..
But we know there's a museum waiting for this one:D
Old 05-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
:bows: Mike, I'll have to say I think that is the most accurate reproduction I have ever seen, certainly in paper, none better!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Damn........... sure wish I could see this one in person. I envy all those that will get to see it at the Amry Heritage Days!!!

Maybe I'll get luck one day!

Oh.......... Congratulations on such a great build and thread. Like Gil, I too look forward to the next one!

john

My Drawings
Old 05-04-2010, 06:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Parting Shot

Well, here we are.

Frankly, I never thought I get to this post, at least not this soon. I figured one thing or another would stop production, the pieces would sit, collecting dust. Then one day I’d find the time to blow off the dust and fiddle with this or that, maybe make a new part, glue something…..

But it didn’t happen that way did it? Dodged a bullet on that one!! So, what can be learned from all this?

“That Mike needs to get a life”

Exact….hey…!! Well, that may be very much true, BUT I also would hope that what one takes away from this mess is: Set a path for your project (and they’re all projects from the tiniest FG biplane to a massive aircraft carrier in 1/24th scale) and stick to that path to the bitter end. In architectural design, we call it “Parti” (no, not Party, this isn’t a frat house). It’s French, and I believe its literal translation is “make a decision”, but we always knew it as “the big idea”. So next model you start, come up with a parti, and see it through. I think your model will be all the better. Tappi summed it up pretty well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Many modelers battle with the aim of trying to create a meticulous impression of a true down scaled version of the original subject. I always felt that was the wrong way to go. As Mike earlier said (somewhere along here) his ambition is more to create consistency into the build and to the model - as I interprete this it is when everything you see in the model is in perfect balance within itsef and that the overall impression is convincing and true to the original. This model is a perfect example of that philosophy. This build has tought me a lot, lot more to be listed here and I must say that mentors like Mike are what makes this forum rock! Thank's Mike for sharing your tips, tricks and modelling magic with us.
Thanks Tappi. But regardless of what Tappi or I say, just keep building. Make your next build better than your last. And post lots of pictures when you do.

Here’s something I've learned. The greatest satisfaction one can get from this (or any) hobby is when you can share your progress and ultimate finished work with great folks. I’ve enjoyed enormously the give and take that has gone on in this thread, and this build would not have been half as fun without you guys here. You know who you are. You don’t? Well I do:

3Turner, alfadoc, Amazyah, AndrewO, barry, batidores, billy.leliveld, birder, Blackronin, B-Manic, buffalowings, coyle, cdavenport, cdwheatley, chanovx, CharlieC, chiawatkom, Clashster, cmags, cmdr199212, CMDRTED, dansls1, DavidESP, descartes, dhanners, DJStratoArt, Don Boose, dovbear, eatcrow2, felixalv, flying rasta, Foxbat, Gharbad, Gil, Golden Bear, GreMir, jagolden01, Jim Nunn, jmueller, John Bowden, KCStephens, kenlwest, kinshipp, legion, lemuel, ltla9000311, mark, medved, milenio3, NYC Irishman, OldTroll, Padre, pahorace, Papercut, Pavel, Peter A. Zorn, peter taft, redhorse, Retired_for_now, rickstef, rman, Ron0909, Ron40, Royaloakmin, Sakrison, shawnr5, shrike, sidewinder81777, SJPONeill, smyfe, solo67, spencermitchellmusic, Stev0, Tapcho, Texman, tg1968, the hermit, William (bill) Amos, Willja67, willygoat, Wily, WVA, Wyvern, Yale, yang4978, YuG, Zathros

Give yourself a hand gentleman! Whether you only posted one “gee, nice ……” post, or several “Get it right!!” posts (Mr. Taft), I appreciate them all. Thanks to all the good intel and advice this model is most definitely the better for it. Thank you all. And to those who have than thanked me, it was entirely my pleasure.

So I guess that’s it. Oh look, my NAA girl has stopped by to say goodbye (I think she knows her days are numbered as I look for a new mascot for the next “great” build):

What’s that? Yes, yes I do believe there is quite a market for girls who specialize in modeling cannon shells. You should have no trouble finding a new job......(poor girl, she hasn't a clue).

Anyway, I had thought to end this with “class dismissed”, but this wasn’t a class so much as an exchange of ideas. So, instead, given that the very subject of this model helped to achieve the victory that ultimately allowed General Douglas MacArthur to end WWII with four words, I use those four words here:

“These Proceedings Are Closed”

Mike
Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
What...? Is it over...? I mean... is it complete then? Not that I don't drool...

I chime in with Rick... how about different kind of bombs, or a ladder, or...?

Oh well... Everything has a beginning and an end.

Such a great building report, Mike... lots and lots of lessons in this thread... Thank You!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Mike..... you tinker, you finally made me cry - Sad that it's all over :( but happy at the thought of being BOMARC'd again :D Enjoy your rest... but not toooo long hey