PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Astonished by every cut, fold and glue you make Mike - again, my day becomes better for a visit here
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks gentlemen, always appreciated!

Just a teeny tiny update tonight. Not much gets done on “school nights”, if you know what I mean (and I think you do).

Work on the radar pod commenced. For the actual front radome, Orlik uses the pedal method, what I like to call the “Jughead Smith” hat method (for any of you Archie comic readers out there). I’m jettisoning that for a card stack/dremel tool deal:

Wingtips are worked over as well. The right, with radar pod mount:

Pod fits OK. Can’t glue it in place until the engine nacelle is mounted (won’t slide over the pod):

Right wingtip:

Wow! Gen-you-ine “oil canning” around the lower tip, just like on the real deal:

I planned that….yeah , that’s the ticket!

Mike
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
Good lord! The camo scheme actually sync!....save for the slight difference in shade..

Niiiiiiice.......

Ummm....say..isn't there suppose to be a green nav. Light on the left wing somewhere..I may have missed it.
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Old 09-23-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying rasta View Post
Ummm....say..isn't there suppose to be a green nav. Light on the left wing somewhere..I may have missed it.
Don't know. Maybe they deleted the green light when they modified the tip to accept the radar. Have to look that up....hmmmmmmmmmm.

Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 06:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomarc View Post
Work on the radar pod commenced. For the actual front radome, Orlik uses the pedal method, what I like to call the “Jughead Smith” hat method (for any of you Archie comic readers out there).
Excuse my ignorance here, oil-canning?

Build is simply a pleasure to visit every time there's a new post.

Archie comics?! - Heck, I live in Haverhill, MA, the birthplace of Archie andrews and pals. Can't believe he picked Veronica over Betty. Think he'll change his mind before marrying her, though.
Google Adsense
Old 09-23-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagolden01 View Post
Excuse my ignorance here, oil-canning?
"Oil-canning" is what some folks call the uneven, almost wrinkled look aircraft skins can have due to the forces imposed on them from rivet stresses or loads applied causing deformations. I think the term stems from "back in the day" when motor oil came in cans, and always looked wrinkled.

Here's a shot of a real B-25 wingtip I found on a Flikr site posted (taken?) by "dumbyellowdog" (link). Note the lumpy appearance around the lines of rivets when viewed close up:

The "oil-canning" in my wingtip came from me working the edges of the paper pretty hard. Unintentional, but I liked the effect.

Mike
Old 09-23-2009, 06:59 AM

Oil-canning, is both visible the distortion of aluminum skin between supporting frame members, and the rather distinctive noise the skin makes under changing stresses.
Makes kind of a "TONKA TONKA" noise as you taxi over rough surfaces or hit turbulence.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Mike, shrike, thanks. The effect does look fine!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:00 PM

I think you nailed the oil-canning very effectively. I don't ever recall seeing this in a plastic model. That's what I like about paper - more realistic looking.

Ken
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
I think you nailed the oil-canning very effectively. I don't ever recall seeing this in a plastic model....
Ken, I guess you haven't seen this guy in action:

Stressed Skin Effect for Model Aircraft by Klaus Herold

Lots of work to get there, but the effect is pretty neat. And just to be clear, the "oil canning" that resulted in my paper wingtip was purely a happy accident, the result of me working the paper too hard.

Mike