PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
feel like im sitting in on a very enjoyable advanced model building course i even think i can pass the final and will surely take the next one offered..you sure made a foll out of the guy that said"those who cant do....teach"...thanks Bill Amos
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
hey family...how are you all..sorry about my absence..was on a film shoot..just dropped in on my inspirational thread and to wish mike and alnd all a very merry christmas...and an "out of recession" new year....

mike ...my thirst is satisfied..always had a leaning to cockpit details..waiting to see how you treat the landing gear in the NEAR future
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
It's a pleasure to follow this thread which is also a terrific tutorial.
Thanks.

Orazio
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM

Very busy cockpit. I sure hope all that detail won't be lost when you close it up. It would be interesting if there was a working overhead light to illuminate the interior.

I can't wait to see finished shots of this piece.

Edit: Just to give you an idea how popular this build is ... it's #1 in a google search over top of the website WWW.PBJMITCHELL.COM. lol
Old 12-16-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
Just to give you an idea how popular this build is ... it's #1 in a google search over top of the website WWW.PBJMITCHELL.COM. lol
And the irony here is, that site's been my primary reference for this model.....

Mike
Old 12-19-2009, 12:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I checked this out because of Sakrison's thread and wow!!! Phenomenal stuff.
Now I have 70+ pages to browse :p
Old 12-20-2009, 09:10 AM

HELP! A face sucker from the movies “Aliens” has latched onto my model!!!! Get it off, get it off…..!!!

Ok, maybe not. Since Northern Virginia was being pelted with a foot of snow yesterday, I actually had time to work on the canopy a bit. I really had to noodle this through, as I couldn’t use the Orlik templates for a guide to carving a mold plug. They didn’t fit with the accuracy I needed (too short among other things), so I had to come up with a way to accurately shape the mold plug by measuring off the model itself. Completely made up as I went along, and this method probably is (a lot) overdone, but hey, I was snowed in and had a lot of time on my hands.

Using 0.030” thick plastic sheet styrene (gasp! Plastic, I know, but I needed something sturdier than paper card, you’ll see why), I made a series of templates and created a negative of the canopy:

You can imagine the profile here (and yes, the little gun sight broke off, as I knew it would):

The theory was, I could take some FIMO (scullpy like stuff recommended to me from Ron, the oldest living troll), and pack it into this negative jig. I lined it first with kitchen cling wrap to help it from sticking:

This is what I ended with. Looks like something the Michelin Man would leave, if you know what I mean:

Baked that to harden (surprisingly little shrinkage), then started carving to the lines left from the jig:

Used a file to finesse it down, all the while testing the fit in the jig:

Here’s where it’s at now. Still not quite there, as I can still see some light between plug and jig, but close:

I next plan to use some Milliput epoxy putty (link to Micro-Mark, but you can find it cheaper at Amazon, among others) and coat the whole thing with a thin layer and press it once more into the jig, then the final finish. I thought I had some Milliput, but the old box I had in the drawer was rock hard. I think my local hobby shop has it, otherwise I’ll have to order on line. I’ll need it, as I also have to make up an ill formed corner (lower right):

That’s it for now until I get some Milliput. Time to shovel snow…………..

Mike
Old 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
That's a marvel of simple engineering, or a simple marvel of engineering. One of the two....
Old 12-20-2009, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Wow, Mike! The jig is a beautiful model in and of itself!

The staff at the Army Heritage and Education Center have asked me to pass on their hopes that you will bring the Marvelous Mitchell up to show off at the Papermodelers' display on Army Heritage Day 15-16 May 2010.

Don
Old 12-20-2009, 04:59 PM

I would love to make that happen Colonel (I'd like to think this thing will be done by then). Maybe I can work it into my travels to Oskosh, kind of traveling road show......

Mike