PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-31-2009, 08:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
If you have the mold plug already made (or can make it), you can send that to me and I'll mold all you want. If I have to make the plug, then it will have to be awhile before I can do it, for I need to devote my attention to this Mitchell task master for now.

If you're hesitant to make a mold, it's really easy (and kinda fun). You can use any number of hardening clays, like Scullpey or FIMO, both available at Michael's Crafts or similar places, or Milliput (my favorite). Plus, making the mold plug yourself helps ensure a good fit of the final product as you have the model to work off. I would just be guessing as to shape/fit issues.

If you need help making the plug, PM me. I'll try to talk you through it.

HTH

Mike
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM

Mike,

Just out of curiosity, where do you get your plastic?

Ken
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM

that canopy looks really really good.

it makes me want to build a rig like you got!

thats some really nice work and its clearer an nicer than alot of the ones i buy from europe

thanks for the build!

and happy newyear!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Clearly superior canopy Nice one Mike, will look very smart with the frame and the slider too
Old 01-02-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenlwest View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do you get your plastic?
Funny you should ask Ken! Just yesterday, I purchased some more "Vivack" from here, having exhausted my supply for this Mitchell. I picked up my traditional 0.020" for canopies, and some of the 0.010" stuff, which I hadn't seen before from MM (but I don't visit there very often, which is probably a good thing). I think that the thinner sheet might be good for smaller items like navigation lights and the like, or smaller scale canopies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hermit View Post
it makes me want to build a rig like you got!
Thanks for the kind words. If you haven't already, I recommend a visit to this recent thread:

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/6712-vacu-form.html

Lots of good intel on home brew vac-forming and similar techniques. Even if you just "heat-n-smash" a canopy, the results are better than a "flat" canopy and it's strangely satisfying to do.

And thanks to you Peter. You're a good friend and I always appreciate your unwavering support.

I said it already, but Happy New Year everyone (when does etiquette say we can stop saying that, a week?)

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 01-02-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A very useful thread, Mike, which I had missed. Many thanks for pointing it out. Lots of world-class model builders contributing to that discussion.

All the best in 2010.

Don
Old 01-02-2010, 08:01 PM

Thank you Don, back at 'ya!

I'm slowing coming out of my Holiday daze, and making some headway. Before I trimmed the canopy to fit, I lined the edge of the cockpit opening with card to give me a flange to set the canopy on:

I printed a bunch of the kit's framing from my scans on 65lb card stock and cut out what I needed for the windshield portion. The sides and back are just extra green material from the kit. After everything is fabricated and ready for finally assembly, I'll paint out any portion of the white that will be visible.

Once I had a good foundation it was easier to trim/fit the canopy. Trim probably isn't the right word, as I was using some 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around a 5/8" dowel to sand off a little here and a little there. In the end it fits well and I think maintains that Mitchell profile:

Still some minor finessing, but I'm satisfied with the overall fit. Next is to cut out the side panels and start framing this thing up.

Mike
Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
OOooo goody goody goody!! Can't wait. :D
Old 01-03-2010, 03:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.47 MB
Happy new year mike...oooh wow!....this canopy is something to behold..superb mike please don't drop the ball now in persuing excellence..it has become the new "normal" on this thread..very inspirational.
to buy...or not to buy...damn you MAREK....damn you!!....ummm...can you make one more 1:50??
Old 01-03-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying rasta View Post
...please don't drop the ball now in persuing excellence...
Well, I wasn't planning on dropping the ball, but I will redouble my efforts just in case.....

So I cut out the side panels, cleaned up the edges, gave the whole thing a final polish with "Blue Magic" stuff, then I dunked it into "Future" floor polish:

Using Future to clear up canopies has been a plastic modelers staple for ages. Just give a hint that S.C. Johnson and Sons might discontinued production of Future and the howls of protest from modelers from all parts of the world would be deafening ("I sense a disturbance in the force"). And not without good reason, the stuff really does a good job:

The hardest part is to resist touching the thing until it completely dries. Incidentally, "future" is now known as "Pledge with Future Shine", but it's the same stuff. Go here to learn everything you ever wanted to know about Future.

So now it comes down to adding frames to the interior, and I started noodling it through as my fear was I would mess up my nice clean canopy with glue everywhere. That led to a good old fashion Sunday afternoon experiment. I'm sure somebody has done this before, although I'm usually out of the loop for such things and always end up "re-inventing the wheel"....

Anyway, I have this full box of sticky labels for 3.5" floppies (remember those?):

The last three computers I've bought for the house didn't even come with a 3.5 drive as an option. But I figured there would be a good use for these labels someday, and maybe today is the day! Went into paint and worked up a color close to the Green Orlik used in this kit. After some "print and miss" swatches, came fairly close to a match. Printed that on a sheet of the floppy labels. The small chunk is what's left of the Orlik stuff:

Here are the numbers if you ever you find yourself in need of "Orlik Interior Green":

So now I figure I can just cut out what what I need and stick it on the inside. I dunked two extra canopies in Future for test vehicles, and burnishing the stickers down sets then pretty well:

I will have to paint the edges just as would have with a plain paper part such as what Orlik supplied, so not much difference there, but at least I don't have to spread glue and potentially make a mess.

So has anybody else tried this before? How successful were you if you did? I think it has potential.....

Mike

Last edited by Bomarc; 01-03-2010 at 03:07 PM.