PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Wow, Mike! The jig is a beautiful model in and of itself!
Don
I second that Don, Mike really pulls all the stops out on every inch of this beauty - We've come to expect nothing less, and he sure delivers
Old 12-27-2009, 04:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Happy New Year everyone!

I'm writing this from an undisclosed location somewhere in New Jersey (actually my dad's house). Naturally, spending the Christmas holiday away from the modeling lair has slowed progress down to nil, BUT, I was able to finished one part while here.

I decided for the canopy fabrication to vacuform rather that "heat and smash". About 15 years years ago, in my heyday of plastic modeling, I built myself a vacuum forming device. It's been in storage here in NJ for awhile, so I figures, as long as I'm here, maybe it was time to drag it out and give it a spin:

I made this when I had access to a machine shop and some scrap aluminum lo those many years ago. It was intended to used several sizes of plastic sheet from 4" X 3" up to 11" X 14", which is the size of plastic sheet Micro-Mark carries. The 11" X 14" size required the use of an extended bed adapted to the basic box. Never used it in that size, but I figured it should work in theory. Since I was making small canopies, I needed to reconfigure the contraption to the smallest size. Took awhile to remember how it all goes together but got it set up:

That's the plug with the layer of Milliput for the final shaping which I subsequently did:

At that point on the pic, I had applied some super-glue to fill some last minute imperfections. Suction for this rig comes from my dad's shop-vac. A standard crevis cleaner attachment plugs into the end of the box. Then using a hot-plate, I heat-up the plastic (I also used a heat gun to augment and ensure even heating:

Then when it's hot, flip down the lid, turn on the vacuum:

Viola!

After several crappy attempts (pile of plastic in the upper portion of the last pic), I picked up the hang of doing this kind of stuff again, and it was nothing to bang out a few copies. My dad graciously consented to man the vacuum when it came time to turn it on so I could concentrate on heating. Canopies came out pretty clear:

Haven't decided yet, but I think I may section these up and and make individual pieces and solid paper frames vice a whole bubble with frames applied on top. I never thought the later method was very convincing. We'll see....

Mike
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Wow that is some rig. Pretty effective from the look of things too. Am I turning green - YES.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Me too. if I had one of those I would go back to airplanes. Just typical of the nice work on this thread.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:26 PM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Thanks for sharing the professional technique of how to form up a canopy. It's cool!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
For the framing, I developed a technique to treat the paper like a decal. This works for card stock as opposed to copy paper.

After printing the frame, remove all the underlayers of cardstock leaving only that layer that captures and holds the ink imprint.

The ink layer is remarkably thin. Apply this to the canopy, inside and out with your favorite glue. There is the slightest edge that already has the ink impregnated. It's most convincing and easy to do.

BTW, your vacform setup is very professionally built. Allow me to suggest that you mount the vacuum core from an old vacuum cleaner. That's my set up.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hi Mike. Once again a day made better for me by a visit here Seeing what can be achieved with a lot of thought and dedication really shows out. I am really pleased to tell you that this thread - and you.... are in my thoughts always when i attempt anything, you know what i'm saying... "i wonder how Mike would do this ?" you are a true professional in every sense of the word, and one guy i certainly look up to and set stall bye. Just marvellous absolutely marvellous
Old 12-28-2009, 01:43 AM

when will you be selling the other canopies???? :p

i need some for mine lol

great job i hope to copy that when it comes time to build mine

this is such a great project...
Old 12-31-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
For the framing, I developed a technique to treat the paper like a decal. This works for card stock as opposed to copy paper.

After printing the frame, remove all the underlayers of cardstock leaving only that layer that captures and holds the ink imprint.

The ink layer is remarkably thin. Apply this to the canopy, inside and out with your favorite glue. There is the slightest edge that already has the ink impregnated. It's most convincing and easy to do.
Thanks Major. I'm going to give that a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
BTW, your vacform setup is very professionally built. Allow me to suggest that you mount the vacuum core from an old vacuum cleaner. That's my set up.
Thanks again. It's over-engineered, but I had fun making it. I do like the concept of salvaging a vacuum cleaner to make it integral with the whole rig (very "Myth Busters"-esque) but for the amount of run time this thing gets, plugging in a shop-vac when needed seems to suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
... "i wonder how Mike would do this ?" ....
That's not necessarily a good thing Peter, for "Mike" would probably over do it and make a complicated mess of the whole thing. But, if helps you get to where you want to go in your models, then wonder away!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hermit View Post
i need some for mine lol
You can have all you need if it will spur you to start that Orlik beast.

Well, I'm back in my modeling lair, but I don't have much of an urge to work on anything at the moment. The holidays have taken their toll. I did manage to rough trim one of the canopies and seems to fit pretty good:

It'll take some massaging, but should be OK. You can see some cockpit stuff in there. Actually, there's a sliding panel on either side for the pilot(s) to stick his head out, so I can't let those go unopened, can I? Then you'll be able to see everything fairly well.....

More as I can bring myself to make.

Happy New Year!

Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 8.01 MB
Mike, what would you charge to make a few canopies? I'd like some (borderline need) and don't have the expertise or equipment to make one.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!