PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-30-2020, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
Newbie question on parts assembly

I'm quite new to paper card modeling. I have picked up some basics, but I am still pulling high Gees on the learning curve.

I ran across a card model of a Short 184 and couldn't resist. A rather ambitious undertaking for a newbie, especially since it is in 1/72 scale, I admit

I have managed to get the fuselage together and turned to the tail feathers where I encountered problems. I have read and re-read the instructions and poured over the assembly drawings and they show only the completed parts with no mention of how they were assembled prior to gluing to the fuselage.

The tailfeathers consist of both sides of the fin, rudder and horizontal tailplane. One piece of each is larger than the other. I am guessing that this is to provide for an airfoil cross section in spite of there being no interior parts.

The stab and elevator look like the larger piece can be rolled into an airfoil shape and the edges glued.

The fin and rudder not so much. I am attempting to attach a photo, but this is my first post and it may or may not come through. If it doesn't, bear with me and I will get it.

Assuming the photo posts, can anyone advise me on how I should go about assembling these pieces?

sp
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2020, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 263.00 MB
I believe you fold on the line and glue the halves together. then cut the smaller shape. The other is bigger to make it easer to align the halves. it is kind of odd the small side of the stabilizer and the small of the rudder are on opposite sides.

Mike
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Mike is correct

Score the line, apply glue to one side, fold over, and then trim to the smaller part

It is a common method to ensure the parts "line up" correctly with each other, instead of having to make a mess trying to align two same sized parts
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-30-2020, 11:01 AM

Thanks Mike. That makes more sense than anything I'm thinking. I printed the parts to this model on several different types of paper, so I have a couple of examples to practice with.

I gather there are 3 sets of instructions with card models, text instructions, assembly drawings and what is printed on the parts layout in the way of marks, symbols, lines and cryptic text usually specific to the kit designer. Learning this code has been the hardest part of card modeling for me.

sp
Old 07-30-2020, 11:10 AM

Mike and Rick
I tried it out on some of the extra pieces I had printed and it worked perfectly. Thanks so much for the help. I am somewhat challenged when visualizing 3D while looking at 2D. Card modeling is helping, but I'm still slow in this area.
sp
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2020, 11:46 AM

Glad we could help, have fun and post pictures when you finish.

Mike
Old 07-30-2020, 11:48 AM

Also, just as an aside, sometimes the instructions aren't the easiest way to build something. Look the pictures over and if you think you have a better way to do something, try it. After all, you can always reprint it if it doesn't work. You will start thinking 3D soon, lol.

Mike
Old 07-30-2020, 12:00 PM

Mike
I have already had to resort to the reprint and do it over method. The initial cockpit assembly has to be square and true for the rest of the model not to take on a twist. My first attempt wasn't anywhere near square. I did it over and the extra effort paid off well as the fuselage came together correctly. Very like scratch building in plastic, if it isn't right, do it over until it is.
I will post more pics as I have something to show.
Thanks again
sp
Old 08-01-2020, 07:59 PM

Here is where I am with the Short 184. I need to make some small holes for rigging to pass into. There is just so much rigging on this airplane that I have to go slowly and constantly consult the drawings in the Windsock Datafile. I don't want to rig myself into a corner as it were. I am using heat stretched sprue because I am very familiar with it and I have enough on hand to fully rig this model, not the case with 2lb mono line.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:03 PM

That is coming along very nicely. Did you say this is one of your first paper models. You can be very proud of your results so far. I usually avoid biplanes because of the rigging and here you are doing it 1/72.

Mike
Google Adsense