PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-19-2020, 12:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Copyright issues

Has anyone here had anything taken down over copyright claims?
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2020, 12:33 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
There is mention about something being challenged >>> Here
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-19-2020, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
That's a very complicated affair.
For example, I'm doing a scratchbuild Stranraer, so I don't fear copywrite isues when I publish the model. But later I would like to make a DC-9 and publish it too. And there are very few ways to make a model without being "too similar" to another published model.
At the same time, I'm looking for somebody to publish a paid, improved version of my planes, and I'll like to be sure that nobody makes an unautorized repaint of my work.
I've asked some times what are the rules about copywrite. So far I'm clear about "everything you want without sharing", but the rest?
Old 07-19-2020, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
So far I have only had my models show up on pirate sites. No one selling them

There are certain models like the Cybertruck that seem like Tesla could go after. More than half of them got their textures from the Tesla press releases and website. I know this because most of my textures were derived from the same images, which are quite recognizeable in the other models.

Do you have someone threatening you, Ryan?
Old 07-19-2020, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.75 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
So far I have only had my models show up on pirate sites. No one selling them

There are certain models like the Cybertruck that seem like Tesla could go after. More than half of them got their textures from the Tesla press releases and website. I know this because most of my textures were derived from the same images, which are quite recognizeable in the other models.

Do you have someone threatening you, Ryan?
No, but this community seems to have far less issues than some others.
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2020, 02:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Hi Ryan, I am a lurker at that " some others" community. I've considered joining several times as it would seem to be a good source of information, but what happened to your recent thread once again brought me to my senses.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
On one of the other sites I visit, created a thread about designing an airplane jack for emergency use.

Once I had a working model, I tried to advertise on the site. It is related to my type of airplane.

The site owner was contacted, after sending in a check by snail mail, I was never allowed to advertise. Now one of his buddies is selling a similar jack, using the same principle as mine. He did modify it quite a bit with machined parts. I don't have machining technology available, mine are simple construction using welding only and off the "shelf" parts. His is more than 1/2lb in weight more than mine.

After over 6,000+ views of my project, the guy selling them is now getting congratulated for the design. Yep, I'm real happy.

I have sold mine on eBay for far less than the new guy is selling his, he has a dedicated customer base, while mine is eBay, unless you know what to look for, hard to find.

My only satisfaction is: At least I know the design works, they say copying is the best form of a compliment!

Not to say anything bad-I do have another plan for mine that he can't duplicate, allowing a much larger customer base.

I sell mine for $125 which includes shipping, his are at $225, the kit he sells has other parts from the airplane kit maker to make it work, it will not "lift" all of the particular airplane models mine will.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 07-19-2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Other Options
Old 07-19-2020, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Oh, my. I would be fuming
Old 07-19-2020, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Oh, my. I would be fuming
Naw! The only thing that gets me is he is getting the congratulations, which over 6,000 other viewers know not to be true, it is only the ones who haven't read my thread that are giving them.

I have options with mine he doesn't, guess he might modify to fix some of the issues, but, life is short and plenty of other things to invent.

My partner, who has a professional weld fabrication shop is upset, but once again, we will soon be selling to a much larger market.

The weld shop has multi-million dollar liability insurance that the other guy probably doesn't have. The weld shop does Oil Field fabrication and USCG approved boat repairs. His insurance covers aviation as well. We checked. Basically I designed it, he makes them, then I'm the salesman. He has several jigs setup-takes about 15-minutes to make one from basic parts.

Total weight is 1lb for mine. Small and lightweight means most airplanes can take.

Read an article about someone stranded in the desert with a flat tire. That is what got me going on the design.

Here is a photo of one of mine in use, this was provided by the customer when he did a brake job. Gave me a nice write-up to use as well.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Copyright issues-image0.jpg  
Old 07-19-2020, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
Have you talked with a layer? There is proof that they used your design, it must be easy to force them to pay you all the sales they made and publish an aknoweledge!
Google Adsense