PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-13-2020, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Hello All...
I just got back from a little road trip and it's good to get back to some modeling. I put the tails on the ol' Dornier. Probably not the best idea since there are lots of things to do that will rip the tails off...but I couldn't help it! The Arrow needed feathers!

All went well. I still need to add the little fillets but things are straight and true. I'll need to fix the trailing edges a bit but all will be well. Darn cool...

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5751.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5754.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5755.jpg  
Old 08-21-2020, 05:19 PM

After somehow fitting the spars in backwards, I re-printed and got the wing structure together. Looks cool on the fuselage! I'll start working on the skins soon...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5777.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5778.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5779.jpg  
Old 08-21-2020, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
Dan,

She's still looking pretty nice. Any more fit issues?

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 08-21-2020, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
I used to work with a fellow whose dad was an Army photographer and took photos of captured Axis aircraft at the end of WWII. He brought in a stack of glossy B&W 8x10s and an Arrow with US markings painted on was one of the aircraft he had pictures of. Interesting to see that same scheme here.
sp
Old 08-21-2020, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Interesting colors on this version.

I built the original all green version years ago. I gave it away at our Dayton model get together a couple of years ago.

I really liked that model.

Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-dsc07246.jpg

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2020, 02:13 PM

Thanks Gary, SP and Isaac! That's a cool story, SP. Old photos are hard to beat especially with a family connection.

Isaac...I've really liked your work here and it's nice to see the Dornier finished. I hope mine looks like yours!

Here is some more wing work. Going together really smoothly, actually. It sure would make a nice free flight model with that long nose and maybe just a free wheeling rear prop. Nice low aspect ratio.

More soon...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5780.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5781.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5782.jpg  
Old 08-23-2020, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Cool model Dan, I think the coloration is really interesting.
Old 08-28-2020, 10:38 PM

Thanks, Glen! I have another paint scheme in mind, but we'll see...

I got the other wing skin on and am test fitting it to the fuselage. In general, it's OK and will look much better with some tweaks. I am really impressed with you WWII and Jet types. Making these look really good is REALLY hard compared to my usual WWI aircraft. I think paper modeling takes better to the old designs. I have a long way to go to get my non-WWI stuff to look like the things I see here. Just look at those fillets and edges! Ugh...Still looks dang cool, though...Loving the Dornier!

Keep plugging away!

Thanks for looking,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5787.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5788.jpg   Dornier Arrow By Marek (1/33rd)-img_5785.jpg  
Old 08-29-2020, 04:43 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Quote:
Making these look really good is REALLY hard compared to my usual WWI aircraft.
Funny, I've assembled quite a few WWII fighters, and I've always been impressed by you WWI aircraft builders. They are so intimidating to me with the rigging, and getting 2 or 3 wings all squared up with the fuselage and each other.

Your Arrow is coming along nicely, and I look forward to seeing what you do with the paint.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:48 AM

Thank you, RPS...
I always have trouble with curved fuselages and mating up panel lines precisely which are few and far between in WWI planes. Mostly, they are slab sided and square etc. I'm odd and enjoy rigging. There is definitely something wrong with me!

Thanks for the look and response. I too think this one will turn out, but I'll need some paper surgery to make her look just right. Oh, well...

Cheers,
Dan
Google Adsense