PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-22-2020, 02:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 180.54 MB
1/72 Short 184 (Second card model)

I admit to biting off more than I could chew when I started this model. I printed it on glossy photo paper and sprayed it with Krylon clear gloss to seal the ink.

First attempt at making the cockpit section resulted in a twisted piece and I went ahead and printed another parts page and the second cockpit came out nice and square.

Still too flimsy, so I added balsa stiffeners.

Ignoring the little slit between the cockpits is what led to the first attempt getting twisted. Try #2 is much better.

Further sections added and remaining aligned.

The tailfeathers and float were added and then rigged with heat stretched sprue.

The top wing center section went on the cabanes. I was very unsure about paper struts especially this small. I coated them in thin CA and was amazed at how well that works.

The lower wing panels and struts were added. I attached the struts in their little holes with white Tacky Glue. This aided in wiggling them into their holes on the bottom side of the top wing.

The top wing panels were added without too much of a fight and I coated the struts with thin CA after it had well set up.

It was at this point I got sucked into building my P-26A and so the Short sat while I built the Peashooter and thought about how to rig the wings.
I finallt decided to use heat stretched sprue because I can easily make it any thickness I need. As the Short had close together double flying wires, they were often bound in a fabric wrapping to reduce drag and harmonic vibrations at speed. So in this scale, thick HSP will have to do. So far I have the two inner wing bays rigged and that is where she sis right now.

sp
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2020, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Rigging looks good. I'm glad you continued to work on this model by Wayne McCullough Landships II

Don
Old 08-23-2020, 07:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
Your build looks so much better than my beta-build of it. Thanks for sharing.
Wayne
Old 08-25-2020, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the kind words Don and Wayne

It's Finished.
Wayne McCullough has made a fine model here. It's small scale was hard for my newbie fingers but I eventually managed to get it all together. The Short is a beast to rig. It sported very close together double flying wires, which were often bound or wrapped with some covering. I used thicker rigging to represent the bound double wires as parallel double wires in 1/72 is beyond my fumbly fingers.
This model was built while I was pulling high gees on the paper card learning curve and so represents more to me than it's looks would suggest.

sp
Old 08-25-2020, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
You have to be extremely proud because you have achieved a wonderful result !! It looks magnificent, and has an intricate rig that you have solved wonderfully
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2020, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a genuine beauty!

I can't wait to see your next project.

Don
Old 08-25-2020, 08:52 PM

Thank you both for the compliments. I sort of amazed myself when it all came together for which I give the designer Wayne McCullough full credit. I am just pleased it is recognizable as a Short 184, even fits in on the 1/72 shelf of the display case.

I sure appreciated all the advice and encouragement I received fro the folks on this Forum.

Next up? I have a 1:33 Marek Berg D.I in an Autumn Mottle camo repaint by Matt77 all printed and ready to go. I am awaiting the arrival of a DH.2 paper kit and an I'lya Muromets Both in 1:33. Right now though I have to finish up some already started plastic before I indulge myself with more paper.

There ought to be a warning printed on paper kits. "The Modeler General of the United States has determined that paper card models are both addictive and fun. Begin one at your own risk"

sp
Old 08-25-2020, 09:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 699.34 MB
I don't see any photos of the finished model....
Wayne
Old 08-25-2020, 10:12 PM

finished. Short 184

There was one posted. Here are some more.

sp
Old 08-25-2020, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Nice looking build, great photos. Nice detail, the rigging looks geat.

Thank you for sharing your build.

Mike
Google Adsense