PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-15-2007, 01:43 AM
Facilitator

Total Downloaded: 368.13 MB
Just in case no one remembers the original question..."wondering if the P51D and the 'Mustang III' models from Halinski share the same canopy shape?". Here are a couple pictures comparing the two.
Attached Thumbnails
Mustang Canopy question-canopy_side.jpg   Mustang Canopy question-canopy_top.jpg  
Old 09-15-2007, 02:21 AM

Location: Right under the final approach to Filton, where they make Airbus wings.
Total Downloaded: 0
Explaining a joke kinda destroys it, so I won't try. And besides, I would then fall for Ricks cunning double-irony trick where it would appear that I have pompously assumed my American cousins have failed to see the irony of my first reply, which is the traditional Brit approach to forums, when in actual fact he was beautifully setting me to shoot myself in the foot! And that would give Maurice something to chuckle about, wouldn't it?

So yes guys, it looks like a Corsair.... (No smily, no irony, no humour (sorry, humor))

Tim
Old 09-15-2007, 11:37 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I knew what you were driving at Tim, but i wanted to make sure that others understood why i was saying what i said.

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-15-2007, 12:32 PM

Excerpt from "Throgmotton's Factoid of the Second Really Big War"...

"...so the Chance Vought company approached the British Royal Navy with an offer of a slightly modified F4U Corsair suitable for use on British aircraft carriers. Some of the modifications included a less "bent" wing, right-hand drive and the promise to use the excess Malcom hoods the RAF had lying around. As such things usually go there were many more changes requested and then it was discovered there was a shortage of radial engines resulting in the change to an inline water-cooled engine. The first prototype Corsair Mk.LVI was delivered in RAF colors and markings (FZ124 was crudely stenciled as a serial number and WC-X added as squadron markings) to befuddle enemy spies. When the Chance Vought delivery pilot (Rick Wunwinglowenstein) landed and met the Royal Navy representatives he told them, "Here's your new Corsair!" To which they promptly and loudly exclaimed, "No Rick, it is definitely a Mustang!" Needless to say, the deal fell through and the aircraft was returned to Chance Voght where it ended its days as a test bed for the ill-famed Planters 25-cylinder pentagonal peanut-oil engine."

Ba-dum-bum...
Old 09-15-2007, 01:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ron --

I was totally sucked in until I got to the "inline water-cooled engine." Good one (the rim shot was a nice touch)!

Of course, some of the actual FAA aircraft were pretty bizarre. The Fairey Barracuda was improbable enough, but consider the Airspeed Fleet Shadower . . . ? http://www.aeroplanemonthly.com/aero...ews_70088.html

As far as I know, however, it was never produced in any version with a Malcolm hood (weak attempt to stay on topic).

Don B.
Google Adsense
Old 09-15-2007, 06:10 PM

Location: Right under the final approach to Filton, where they make Airbus wings.
http://www.geocities.com/aircraft42/...s/humorous.htm

and to think this line ended up with the fabulous Buccaneer...

http://www.newzeal.com/aviation/BL/blackburn.htm

and Thunderbirds Are Go! all started here...

www.marine-one.co.uk/images/m2.jpg

Yes, the Royal Navy took quite some time to come to terms with aircraft!

Tim
Old 09-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Tim... can that Japanese dog holding wicker-basket plane be real? I can't get myself to believe it!!

Edit:
Or any of them... the sad thing is I can't even tell if it's a joke anymore :p

Last edited by Gharbad; 09-15-2007 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The Japanese dog carrying airplane and the others at that site are imaginary, but considering the 1924 Blackburn Blackburn, the 1940 Blackburn B.20 Seaplane, and some of the other aircraft that Tim dug up, I have to admit it's hard to find the line between imagination and reality.

- Don B.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 PM

Thanks Ron! Good laugh and finally made the turn this thread took make sense! Not being a fly boy and all.....
Old 11-14-2007, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
mustang

this is fun reading, I guess I have too much time on my hands. Ya know, though, making your own canopies is part of the fun I think, even if it's not perfect, it's nice to know you made it yourself. I'm sure several methods have been used, but thick vacumolded plastic packaging works good with some experimentation with molds, heat sources, and plastic types. Malcolm hood or full D type
Google Adsense