PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Blog post: Bf 109 G-6/R6, MT-461

WWII Fighter Plane Profiles

It's...not my best. But this airplane is easily the most fascinating one to-date.

Personally, the 109 just doesn't do anything for me. I built ModelArt's 109F - nice little kit...but ugly. But now, I'd take a Finnish 109 right away.
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating story of the Finnish ace. I love to see your sketchbooks as well as the finished paintings and the stories of the fliers whom you interview.

Don
Old 08-18-2009, 10:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thank you, Don.

The 109 is not an easy airplane for me. I did it because of the heavy documentation and the desire of the pilot. I would have preferred the Hawk 75.

Your comments regarding the sketchbook is well taken - I am finding that the little pencil scribbles resonate with people; at least to a greater degree than what I would have thought.

Right now, I'm working on another "chapter" presentation in the vein of "Capturing a Thunderbolt" on the front page of my personal website - www.johnmollison.com

It'll have a few more sketches - action scenes...and they're so crude! (laughs).

However, I always keep in mind the comments of pilots I've interviewed regarding "Aviation Art" action scenes - the pilots often complain that the finished art is not realistic.

The problem is simple - the artist must capture a scene and its emotion on a limited canvas. So, events become dramatized and compressed. The one thing I can say about my crappy little sketches is that I don't try to capture reality other than a perspective view.

Regardless, art is a struggle between authenticity, emotion and the "artist's" skill/talent level at the time.

The press run of the Finnish 109 was finished last week and the prints are GORGEOUS in terms of authenticity. But as an aesthetic, hanging on a wall...? Butt ugly.

Anyway, thank you again. Stay tuned - if you're into untold history, I'll be posting more this month. I hope.
My blog: www.ww2fighters.blogspot.com