PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-26-2020, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Fantastic set Pablo !! I admire how you build these small things.
Old 10-27-2020, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Excuse my polymer

Dear All:

Thank you very much for your kind words, specially from those coming from miniaturists ;-)

And thank you very much Lorenzo for finding out the models: Sopwith Pup, D.H.5, S.E.5a, Albatross D.II and Fokker D VIII I was missing the Bristol M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfuente View Post
Well Pablo, all your answers are here:

1972 Fighter Planes of WW1 issued with Kelloggs Coco Krispies

1972 Fighter Planes of WW1 Puffa Puffa Rice issued by Kelloggs

Browse the whole website, but starting with just the Coco Pops page you'll find many of these promotional mini-kits! I bought the SE5 and Albatross at a model show in Manchester.

Sometime in the 1990s when ACADEMY was starting out they did white plastic reissues of selected kits from various promotions like:

1968 Floating Model Ships issued with Kelloggs Coco Pops

1969 Space Age Models issued with Kelloggs Sugar Smacks

1972 Historic Cars issued with Kelloggs Sugar Smacks

http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Var...del_ships.html

CocaCola Philippines ran a bottlecap promotion with these in the 1970s which I all lost
http://cerealoffers.com/Cereal_Partn..._clippers.html

Hope this was a nice trip down memory lane for some of us!
Please excuse my polymer, but allow me to present the core of the collection. From these I harvested, as in a donor program, propellers, wheels, wings, fuselages, machine guns and when I exhausted the possibilities I started to use cellulose, soda (or better beer) cans, manila folders, business cards, and wire.

Here are the original models, you will notice the imperfections of hand drawn insignias.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-pict2782.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2783.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2784.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2785.jpg  
Old 10-28-2020, 11:19 PM

Having the right documentation

I was very fortunate that my father invested in books so I had access to, what in my humble opinion, are the best references for WW I airplanes.
From these sources, which two of them have all the 3d views in a 1/72 constant scale that I needed, I started to adapt and modify the original six models. Also I fondly remember my fathers Airfix bagged kits and his Auroras planes which also served as references.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-ww-i-reference-books.jpg  
Old 10-29-2020, 11:57 PM

Little by little getting documentation

Little by little I was gathering documentation wherever I visited: in discount bookstores (gone by the beginning of this century), used books stores (also almost gone and who knows with the pandemia) and ordering via by Amazon. Also I received the very nice book in Spanish by my brother, a good recount of all the fronts (originally in English).
War in the Air has excellent aerial photos of planes, balloons, and dirigibles flying.

Nevertheless, my favorite references are in the previous post!

ps: now we have internet!
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-pict2786.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2787.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2788.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2789.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2790.jpg  

Red Baron in N Scale-pict2791.jpg  

Last edited by wireandpaper; 10-30-2020 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! so small, incredible work! Ant-Man would have lots of fun!! I like your models.

Jacek

śmieciarka - Jelcz 315
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2020, 03:38 PM

Excuse my polymer again

Thank you Jacek for stopping by

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK View Post
Wow! so small, incredible work! Ant-Man would have lots of fun!! I like your models.
Jacek
So armed with the documentation I mentioned before, graph paper, pencil and a calculator (no personal computers then) I started to draft the needed parts for the modifications.

Here are the planes that used the four of the original models, which in some cases only the fuselage of that polymer was preserved. Some of the wings were made of cellulose and the control surface in whatever was available: card, aluminum can foil, or slide show transparencies.
As I mentioned before the propellers and wheels were harvested from other models.

The families include the Fokkers, Albatross, and Sopwiths and the DH5 served to make a Bristol Scout, a Hanriot HD1, and two Nieuports a 17 and a 28. All of theme were hand painted including the roundels. The only exception was the skull in the Albatross D II. You will notice that I took some licenses in particular with the wings of the float planes. Oh well!

ps: Next time no forbidden polymer (except for propellers and wheels).
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-pict2792.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2793.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2794.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2795.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2796.jpg  

Red Baron in N Scale-pict2797.jpg  

Last edited by wireandpaper; 10-31-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:14 AM

unprocessed cellulose as the primary building material

After exhausting the possibilities of modification, I took a dip into scratch building. So I used the marvel polymer found in balsa.
Here are the Allied planes. Half pushers, the other half tractors.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-pict2798.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2799.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2800.jpg  
Old 11-05-2020, 02:18 AM

Other cellulosic models

Of course, the Axis planes are more colorful that the Allies (please no offence).
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-pict2801.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2802.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2803.jpg  
Old 11-06-2020, 12:50 AM

Processed cellulose alternatives

By now we have plenty of processed cellulose alternatives.
There are other alternatives like metal or re$in.
But we know that paper is the alternative with no limits in time or space thanks to cyberspace. It also has the advantage that "size doesn't matter" you may print in the scale you want!
But you need a decent printer.

The dilema is to redo the balsa models that are not perfect and replace them with imperfect paper models, or to do the models that I am missing like the Macchi M.5 or a Short 184 or any multiengine.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Baron in N Scale-pict2808.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2814.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2809.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2815.jpg   Red Baron in N Scale-pict2811.jpg  

Old 11-06-2020, 05:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
That's why I love paper, you don't need putty, paints, airbrush, etc. and if you spoil something, print again and voila. You have a well congested airfield there !!!
Google Adsense