PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-25-2020, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I try to do my best. You will see, I am far, far, far from perfect

But first things first. I squeezed the fuselage into a fixture again and mounted the empennage. To get the angles right, I cut some cardboard pieces as spacers.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_001.jpg

While that cures, I built the engine. The cylinders were rolled from a strip of cardboard, and the exhaust pipe is only 2D. But, as I wrote before, I will not change anything and go for the original design from Schreiber-Bogen.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_003.jpg

I also prepared the undercarriage and the wheels to be mounted later.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_009.jpg Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_015.jpg

All my Models can be seen here.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:59 AM

Now, let's come to the wings. It is a simple construction. As I lost one part (chaos is everywhere), I have to copy a rip.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_012.jpg

I glued the rips and the struts into the hull of the wings.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_004.jpg Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_006.jpg

To round the wingtips, I used a bone folder and a soft bolster and carefully rubbed the tips until they were slightly concave.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_007.jpg

After that, I fixed the wings to keep everything nice and straight. I usually use water-based wood glue. So, warping because of the moisture is always an option. And I hate when that happens

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_008.jpg

Old 11-25-2020, 03:06 AM

On the next day, everything was tried and straight. Schreiber also delivers templates for the correct angle of the wings.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_010.jpg

First, I glued the upper wing.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_011.jpg

Then the lower.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_013.jpg

And now a quiz! What is wrong with the last image? If you have seen some old Biplanes (or even Trippleplanes), you will immediately say: "What did he do?". The solution comes in my next post.

Old 11-25-2020, 03:14 AM

Who found the correct answer?

I glued the bottom wing the wrong way round. The id must be on the bottom to be seen from the ground when the plane passes over you.

Unfortunately, I only noticed that after some hours when everything was cured and fixed. So, I took a sharp knife and cut the wings off again, millimeter by millimeter

And that's the way it should be.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_014.jpg

Old 12-02-2020, 03:43 AM

The error with the wings was only the first event of a series of unfortunate events. More were to follow.

But first things first.

To mount the upper wing, I built an assembly jig where I fixed the fuselage with the lower wings.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_015.jpg Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_017.jpg Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_018.jpg Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_020.jpg

Google Adsense
Old 12-02-2020, 04:02 AM

For the rigging, I wanted to try something new. If only I had not. I mounted tiny brass rings at the points where the threads should be mounted to the wings.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_019.jpg

First, it looked good.

Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_021.jpg Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_022.jpg

But at the first attempt to release the plane from the rig, everything fell apart. The rings I glued to the wings with super glue came off again and again. The tension was too high, and the super glue too week. And my desperate struggles to fix them again made everything worse. In the end, the rings tore away the upper layer of the cardboard when coming off. And gluing them back on only caused glue stains. So I abandoned my idea with the rings. I used some leftover parts of the kit to cover the ugly spots on the wings and mounted the threads again in the old way. A needle to thread it through and a drop of super glue to hold it.

That's also the reason why there are so few pictures of the last building phase. Between swearing, gluing, and cursing, I had no time to take pictures.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:05 AM

And here is the result of a lot of work and many profanities:
Attached Thumbnails
Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_finished_001.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_finished_002.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_finished_003.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_finished_004.jpg   Schreiber-Bogen, Udet U-12-u-12_finished_005.jpg  

Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 295.28 MB
The final product is amazing... a true testament to your patience and skills. I avoid biplanes for the exact same reasons you pointed out.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco View Post
The final product is amazing... a true testament to your patience and skills. I avoid biplanes for the exact same reasons you pointed out.
Thanyk you

Old 12-07-2020, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
good work, very good.
smooth and clean.

YOAV
Google Adsense