PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
You're buiding a real beauty here! Love a nice P-51!!
Old 08-17-2009, 11:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks again guys
I'm having a ball with this model! Not much to add once again. I can't sit too long at the desk as this heat hasn't let up yet. Finishing up the tail end was a matter of a cross support and 4 small formers (2 on each side at the root to maintain the shape). Tomorrow we start on the wings. Darn I hate this paper! It has a coating on it that flakes off almost like the toner on a laser printed sheet. With a little luck, the wing folds won't be too hard and it will stay intact.

Talk soon
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart P-51d-p51-31.jpg   Modelart P-51d-p51-32.jpg   Modelart P-51d-p51-33.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 03:50 AM

Great model and thread!

I like this particular paint scheme.

Ken
Old 08-18-2009, 04:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.47 MB
Very clean and perfect work, Ron Your skills and the perfectly fitting kits of E.Zarkov is an exellent combination!

I'm very interested how you're going to make the canopy.

Sergey

Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Great job Ron.
This is probably the only ETO Mustang scheme that I like so I have this kit in my to-do stack (thanks Moshe :D).

While looking for some background info on the plane I came up with few questions concerning the markings. It looks like serial number of the plane does not match code letters and the upper surfaces should be British Dark Green, not Olive Drab. There was even a discussion about the upper surfaces being blue, but that would be a bit creepy
Anybody familiar with European Mustangs can confirm/deny my findings?
According to my finds, P-51D E2-A had serial number 44-13568. It was plane flown by Captain Bruce W. "Red" Rowlett, who flew with the 375th FS/361 FG from Little Walden, UK and St.Dizier, France. Name of the plane was "Sky Bouncer"

Edited: Here is the photo of the plane http://www.flyinghigher.net/northam/images/1015002.html

Last edited by GreMir; 08-18-2009 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Added photo
Google Adsense
Old 08-18-2009, 06:54 AM

There is also question of the fin fillet - E2-A doesn't have one yet...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Ron -- Although I haven't weighed in previously, I have been following this build closely. It's a real classic build and you are doing an outstanding job. I can only repeat what others have said: an exceptionally clean build, perfect joins, good use of various techniques to improve the kit, very tidy workspace, ad a nice cat (am I imagining things, or is there a wide-spread affinity between paper modelers and cats). Thanks for all the good clear photos and gracefully-written description. Don
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM

Thanks again guys Now I'm starting to blush! Michael, I was looking into what you had said. All I could come up with were a few pics. One seems to be a colorized version of what you had linked to and then a digital version of the same aircraft meant for a flight sim. Both had tail numbers of 413568. Now the colors appeared to be the same as what Dr.Zarkov presented. It's strange looking at the pdf as everything appears to be closer to grey than green. The printed kit looks like the photos I've seen (that being OD green). Maybe Moshe can join in here or Dr Zarkov if he peeks in here to see what we're up to
Don, that does seem to be a complete truth. There does seem to be an affinity towards cats in the paper modeler's blood. The comment about the clean work space is probably what we all do as well....shove the cra* out of the way when we take the pics! My better half gets on me about the condition of my space once in awhile as it does occupy part of our dining room.
I haven't figured out the canopy yet. The kit has templates to be printed onto 'transparent foil'. Seams will be seen but the result is surprisingly good. I was thinking about a plaster plug made from the paper canopy and then plastic molded in the oven. It might also be a good excuse to build a mini vac form box. I have an old mini 'shark' vac that we don't use and that might be a good purpose in it's life now

More tonight
Ron
Old 08-18-2009, 11:45 AM

I will try to change the serial number and add the "Sky Bouncer" name on the plane when I try to build it - and your build pushed my copy almost to the top of the pile
If those tail fillets couldn't be retrofitted on the older Mustangs then I will pretend that they were - I much preffer the plane this way :D
Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron0909 View Post
Maybe Moshe can join in here or Dr Zarkov if he peeks in here to see what we're up to
Ron
You called? :D
Google Adsense