PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 04-20-2021, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butelczynski View Post
One of types of radio antennas used on old aircraft were reel antennas.One of the procedures of landing at night and in low visibility was lowering reel antenna to predetermined length.Ground contact was a signal to cut engines.

That procedure was also used in Lunar Lander if I'm not mistaken.

The LM indeed had 'feelers' on the soles of its legs, so to say, to touch down. Then a blue 'contact' light would light up in the cockpit and the piloting astronaut woild cut the engine off. There are photos of the LM on the moon with those antennae bent by the saucer-like feet of the landing legs.

For such antenna landings, an approaching airplane must have had a very steady and slow last part of its descent, I presume. Also careful not to take up lots of runway before touching down... Thanks for the info, Butelczinski. Very interesting details.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 604.42 MB
Very good to hear your build is going so well, will look forward to photos in due course!
Old 04-22-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris190 View Post
Very good to hear your build is going so well, will look forward to photos in due course!
I'll do that. But like I said, building goes slow; I have a lot of other stuff going on at the moment. And I appear to have some carpal tunnel mess going on in my left hand (my writing / cutting hand) so I also have that going for me as well. /-:
Old 04-22-2021, 11:06 AM

Not a good condition to be afflicted with in our hobby, hope that things will ease off for you as time goes on and your output can be restored.

Best wishes

Chris
Old 04-23-2021, 02:34 PM

Thanks Chris, it still is manageable. And I heard it is surgically treatable too. So maybe that might become an option in the future.
At the moment I am really wondering how to place those slender parts around the wing roots. It is a mystery to me. Where to start and how to curve them?
Old 04-24-2021, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
At the moment I am really wondering how to place those slender parts around the wing roots. It is a mystery to me. Where to start and how to curve them?
Nevermind. I got it. (-;
Old 04-25-2021, 07:05 AM

My last message here (sorry to have hijacked the thread a little): I have built the fuselage and wings, tail and stab but then I looked at the original files again and Chris' build photos and suddenly was hugely dissatisfied with how my build looked. It lacked so much of the finer lines. I guess I had my printer settings wrong. (insert some slight profanities here - I always have fights with my printer. I guess my brain is wired in another way than those who design and program printers...)
So I decided to start over. Not something I do often. Mostly I abandon ship and embark on a new one. This one is worth trying again. That says a lot, Chris. I love the model. I really do. It looks awesome and it deserves a well-executed build.

So, see you all in a new thread, hopefully soon with some accompanying pictures.(-;

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 04-25-2021 at 07:06 AM. Reason: I changed some letters.
Old 04-25-2021, 11:44 AM

My sympathies, this hobby of ours can be a real trial at times! I think I ripped up my effort once to correct the fuselage design and the wings didn't go at all well either; the ability to reprint is such a blessing though and I can't imagine how I managed in earlier days when one could be totally screwed with no means of rectification following an instant's clumsiness!

Best of luck with your next attempt.

Chris
Old 06-12-2021, 03:05 AM

Hi Chris, I am well on my way with the new model, Just like the first one, good fit, very nice shape but now in more detailed print with better colours.

The wing attachments of the engine nacelles are in place, Just a little fiddling and moving around during the setting of the glue gave me some very decent bases for the attachment for the engine cowlings. I do not see a part which will make the cowling's front end a bit curved inwards. I do see a lot of strips, but they are all white. What exactly is your method used here?

Secondly, the art which sits next to the engine cylinders, which is a little more oval in shape with a slightly thicker black rim on one side. I guess it goes where the indent in the cowling is to keep the bulge on top of the engine bulged. But the diagonal line, what does that mean?
Thanks in advance
PK.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:54 AM

Hi PK, just read your other post and delighted to see your progress so far; quite surreal for me to see a re-run of my own efforts!

If you look below the four front cowling parts, you will find a sketch section drawing of the curved front edge; the four strips are glued successively within the outer part after having fixed the blue/white strip also inside the outer cylinder; then glue on the blue only strip butting up to the outer cylinder front edge and covering the blue of the blue/white strip.

You then have a square edge to the cowling front of some thickness and the outer corner of this is then carefully sand papered away to a rounded profile, again as per the section drawing (darker triangular area); sand only up to the joint with the main cylinder, so that after smoothing off the sanded edge with white glue you can colour up to that joint and get a neat line between printed and painted areas.

The black/white oval is the former for the back of the cowling and does indeed support the bulged top element (fairing for the exhaust pipes?): the purple diagonal shows that the longitudinal cover strips along the sides of the cowling are set so that one side strip is lower than the other and is probably a hangover from my drawing construction as these strips are already located by the white strips along the main cowling parts.

Hope this hopes, best wishes

Chris
Google Adsense