PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-21-2021, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Slowly but awesome!
This plane, sometimes a little bit maligned ruled with the hurricanes the skies against the Italians. Only the 109 or the 202 could deal with them.
Thank you for sharing the process.

ps: some times I wonder if I had to switch to this scale, but then I look at my space and I think I will continue admiring your models!
Old 01-21-2021, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thank you Don and Wireandpaper...I hope tiny little bits of progress are not too boring.

Speaking of which...it took me all evening but I got the ailerons on! Now the wings look complete. Each little thing added really makes you want to finish the darn thing. No lost mojo with this model.

We'll see what I get done tomorrow. Cheers to all,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6274.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6275.jpg  
Old 01-23-2021, 11:37 PM

Evening, All!

Today I fiddled with and got the spinner constructed. It's well designed and actually spins really well. There is a pin that sticks into a rolled paper shaft that is glued into the fuselage/spinner plate. Spins very freely. I think I'll try a bit of burnishing to try and hide the seams a bit better but all in all, it looks the part and finishes off the sleek yet aggressive nose of the Tomahawk nicely. It'll be nice with some prop blades on there!

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6276.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6277.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6279.jpg  
Old 01-24-2021, 06:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Excellent spinner Dan, and it's good that it can rotate freely (in a paper shaft!). What you can do once the model is completed, take a hair dryer and blow the air (use the cool air option if that's possible...) at the propeller, and see if it moves. Then, take a picture, that really give a mind-blowing effect. I've done it once with the Fokker D21 and with a background of a sky filled with clouds, it really looks like your masterpiece has taken it to the skies.

For the wings, may I suggest you add two or three drops of glue (let it dry in between) to the wing tip navigation lights. It's a details, but adds up to the realism of this magnificent model. Also goes for any other light on the back or belly-side.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 01-24-2021, 07:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Magnificent is the word, Eric, and from such a superb model builder as yourself, that is real praise.

I was glad to be able to watch you fiddling with the spinner yesterday during our Zoom session, Dan, and am glad to see that it turned out so beautifully.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2021, 10:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
I have to say that the three piece spinner captures the shape of the Tomahawk. Good modeler and good designer.
And I am still amazed at the very good alignment of the camo and the sharkmouth!
Old 01-26-2021, 12:06 AM

Thanks, you guys...the Sharkmouth was the part I was dreading and I figured it would never line up. But the kit is so well-designed, it was no real problem.

I started on the flap interiors. All of this needs some trimming and, of course, edge coloring...but it's slowly coming together!

Thanks for looking,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6288.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6289.jpg  
Old 01-26-2021, 07:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Really beatutiful work Dan!
Old 01-28-2021, 11:51 PM

Thanks so much, Bob.

I got the flaps done (finally). Just slow and steady. They look really neat. The last picture is just mocked up so you get an idea of how they will look when installed. I need to make some landing gear before I do that otherwise they'll break off for sure knowing me.

Getting closer bit by bit...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6290.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6291.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6294.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6297.jpg  
Old 01-29-2021, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Looking very neat Dan. The plane looks interesting from below, especially the air cooler outlet. Must be because of desert operation. The Hawker Hurricanes serving in similar service also had huge air coolers fitted underneath.

Nice flap details, with a good view on the internal structure. Like it very much. You really got me tempted to build a Halinski myself and I'm frantically finishing off current projects.... In fact I've already started preparations...

Cheers,
Erik
Google Adsense