PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-20-2020, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks Everybody. Tackling this guy (my most complex kit yet) is made a lot easier with all of this experience at my computer-finger-tips!
WireandPaper: I can't take credit. Maybe a little, but this kit is pretty amazing.

I do see what you mean, Erik, about the lighter color edges and the spray coat. I usually do that with my downloaded/printed models, but did not on this one thinking it's a manufactured kit. I shall do that in the future. Good idea.

I'll experiment with white glue as well. I assume a very little goes a LOOONNGGG way. I like the idea of it sort of sealing the edge. I'll keep on practicing.

Cheers to all and keep the suggestions coming.

Dan
Old 12-22-2020, 12:00 AM

Well...got the next fuselage section on and started the rear-most tail wheel area. The pictures tell the story. That fuselage skin with the roundel was kind of a bear since the tabs along the spine of the fuselage were clear plastic from the rear window insert. Gluing was...interesting. Made it work, though.

I'm not sure how to add the next section behind that one (between the roundel and the tail wheel section) as there is only one former and no tabs that I can see (or find!). Hmmmm....may be time to find that build on Youtube!

More soon,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6151.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6152.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6153.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6154.jpg  
Old 12-22-2020, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
It may be a butt fit.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Indeed looks like a butt fit but perhaps you can create tabs yourself and do then necessary modifications. Fuselage sections with a butt fit never really mate well, unless the kit is extremely precise. Halinski, huh? So it shouldn't really be a problem, and the joint is sort of hidden by the horizontal stabilizers and relatively small. Dry-fit twice, glue once !

Regards,
Erik
Old 12-23-2020, 01:09 PM

Thanks, guys...I think I didn't describe things well. All the pieces fit with tabs/formers except for the skin with the "F". I tried making my own tabs but the previous section started to balloon out and not match. I finally cut a new former almost identical to the one supplied, added it to the end of the glass section and then glued it all together. Seemed to work but all my messing around gave me some really ragged edges. A shame as everything else seems to fit so well. I had nightmares about the chin area and I got that done with no fuss at all. I assumed the rest of the fuselage would be super simple. Oh, well...onward and upward! Tails next.

Cheers and thanks for chiming in with ideas and help. They are much appreciated.
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6155.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6156.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6157.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6158.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2020, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Thanks, guys...I think I didn't describe things well. All the pieces fit with tabs/formers except for the skin with the "F". I tried making my own tabs but the previous section started to balloon out and not match. I finally cut a new former almost identical to the one supplied, added it to the end of the glass section and then glued it all together. Seemed to work but all my messing around gave me some really ragged edges. A shame as everything else seems to fit so well. I had nightmares about the chin area and I got that done with no fuss at all. I assumed the rest of the fuselage would be super simple. Oh, well...onward and upward! Tails next.

Cheers and thanks for chiming in with ideas and help. They are much appreciated.
Dan
With Halinski kits if something goes wrong it is usually modeler fault. These kits are designed so precisely so even small mistake at the start will show usually later in the build.
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-picture_11dcca2b2b14eb8fd23f7ced8a8aa1b7.jpg

Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-picture_ab4640ab5d8d09932625dc50ea2fff3b.jpg

Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-picture_f2fbb478ade1e4900f03394c250d2739.jpg
Old 12-23-2020, 03:48 PM

Ughhh...guilty as charged. That's just what I was thinking, Olo. At least I (hopefully) will only improve!
Thanks for the pictures. That looks great...Dan
Old 12-23-2020, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithdr View Post
Ughhh...guilty as charged. That's just what I was thinking, Olo. At least I (hopefully) will only improve!
Thanks for the pictures. That looks great...Dan
Don't get discouraged, we all making mistakes it is important to learn from them Fit a part 3 times before you glue it
Old 12-23-2020, 05:07 PM

I can hardly see a difference...it's like they are twins! (Ha, ha)
Starting the tails tonight!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6160.jpg  
Old 12-26-2020, 12:09 AM

Moving on...I just love this thing. It's surely a challenge, but the results are pretty neat. My only change was adding a bit of paper towel stuffing in the base of the rudder to help form the complex convex curvature down there (a bit of a petal cut there). Trying to channel my inner Ricardo/Erik/Olo with varying amounts of success...

More tomorrow...Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6162.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6163.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6174.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6175.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6176.jpg  

Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6177.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6178.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6179.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6180.jpg  
Google Adsense