PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-30-2020, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Looking very good Dan, you learn as you go. Tom's advice to use embossing tools (I simply use the cap of a fountain pen....) is a good one. Those empennage surfaces are tricky from what I know of Halinski kits, and so are the wings. They are like shell halves that need to be glued together. Devilish. Looking forward to more!

Cheers,
Erik
Old 01-02-2021, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
You are right, Erik...the clam shells need to be formed really carefully and rounded nicely and evenly to avoid some unsightly edges or crushed areas! Fun, fun, fun. The fits, though, are usually spot on. Even with edge gluing.

I got one side of the exhausts done and also did the gun barrel extensions that sit on top. I ended up trying to roll the paper for these for about 2 hours. I de-laminated, rolled until blue in the face and got them darn close but I couldn't get the edges glued to make perfect circular cross sections. I ended up just taking some heated/stretched sprue and drilling the ends out. They look fine although this is the first piece in the kit I've really cheated on...don't tell. Shhh....

More soon,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6194.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6195.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6196.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6197.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6198.jpg  

Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
Looks very nice and detailed Dan, I wish the pictures can be biger so details are more visible. Thanks for sharing.

Shalom Mor
Old 01-02-2021, 01:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
My easy way to do round ports is to roll one tube long enough for the whole side of pipes and snip them off at a angle easy really easy if you can snip through the mandel wire or whatever used..
Old 01-02-2021, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
Exhaust look good ..Just one question ... sorry to be so picky. Just wonder. On your pictures exhausts kind of overlapping each other ??? Looks like they are not designed right or maybe it just picture taken at the angle???.... When you look at the picture of the plane one ends before another and are pointing a bit upwards, while in your build they overlapping and kid of pointing downwards...
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-p40bg01.jpg
Old 01-02-2021, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the comments folks...

Olo: I need to look at a real shot of the machine in question and maybe do some tweaking. To be honest, I was just glad I got them on there and they looked ok. I was also not sure which end to use for the fuselage attachment of the "bottom" roll. So it's quite possible I have that part upside down. We'll see.

You are not picky...you are helping! I just may not live up to expectation...

More later...Dan
Old 01-02-2021, 07:12 PM

Here's a shot I found on the internet of what I think is the same model of this machine and it sure looks like they slant upward. I'll see what I can do with the other side and then fix this one if it isn't too impossible to do so!

Hmmmm....I really doubt it's the kit.

Dan (again)
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-tomahawk_iib_ak326_107mu.jpg  
Old 01-02-2021, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.91 MB
That is cool picture
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-lusterkop-40-1.jpg
Old 01-03-2021, 02:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 64.98 MB
Your Model is looking great !
I liked the cockpit details.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Depending on which type of P-40, B, C, E, etc. this website might help with the exhaust pipes. There are diagrams of the different types under the category of nose.

P-40 Warhawk Technical

The oval type looks like it's the 3rd or 4th type on the list that Halinski is trying to model.

Jeff
Google Adsense