PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-03-2021, 10:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thanks, All...

JEFF! You are the man. That link is awesome. I needed this when I started. Thanks so much. I can tell you that the exhaust attachment to the "engine" looks like a race track oval and I do think the tips are circular.

This will be great for the landing gear, flaps, spinner....everything!

Cheers,

Dan
Old 01-03-2021, 11:19 PM

Evening All,

I got the area behind the chin where the oil cooler and two radiator outlets are positioned figured out. You have to make a "flying nun" fold (remember Sally Field?) on one end which gets to be tortured and put into a serpentine belt position deep in there...and it transitions on the other side to almost a normal former. I am constantly humbled by how well this kit is designed and what paper can actually do!

Anyway, I think I'll wait to add more until the wing is in position since a fairing goes all the way back under the wing so we'll stop this part here for now.

Phew...

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6202.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6203.jpg  
Old 01-08-2021, 12:19 AM

This wing structure looks easy and most of it is. But holy cow...it's the oddest wing structure I've ever seen and the wing tips are particularly weak. I am hoping all that skinning goes on just right!

P.S. Ignore the plastic B-24 in the background.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6211.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6215.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6216.jpg  
Old 01-08-2021, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Cool Dan, of course the skins will fit perfectly -if the structure is perfect... my plan is to give a slight bit of wiggle room at the front edge of the wing just in case. I also leave out the panels between the wing formers although often include a small bit at the corners, as see no benefit from these and can induce some twist and add a lot of wt on the gear, I also put the wheel wells on the lower wing skin before I glue down the skins to be sure it has nice seams and that it will have the clearance needed to fit.. I usually am cautious to avoid holding much pressure on the wing skin as can show where the formers are..
not that you have to do any of this, just makes it easier.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a real beauty, Dan.

Sounds like good advice from Model Master Glen.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-08-2021, 03:53 PM

Thanks Glen and Don! Glen: Great advice. I think my first plan next is to work on those wheel wells just as you suggested. I'll just take is really slow. We'll see what happens tonight!

Dan
Old 01-09-2021, 11:18 PM

Thanks to the folks in the virtual meeting group this AM and a LOT of test fitting before committing to glue, I got the wheel wells inserted and skins on the left wing attached! Imagine my surprise when the darn machine gun holes and lower wing light opening actually lined up with the skins! This model makes you look really good. I also love the paper. Someone on a thread a couple of years ago was asking what type of paper do you prefer? Some wise individual stated "whatever is in the Halinski kits". They were not joking. I think this is the first paper model I've made that does NOT have a crumpled wing leading edge. My only addition was a glassy bead inserted into the lower wing light so it looks more like a bulb.

I'll start the other side tomorrow. Cool beans...

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6219.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6220.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6222.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6223.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6224.jpg  

Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6225.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6226.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6227.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6228.jpg  
Old 01-09-2021, 11:29 PM

Sorry...forgot one more thing. I've never had a wing to fuselage joint like this on a plastic model.

Holy Hand Grenades!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6229.jpg  
Old 01-10-2021, 06:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Dan, this looks terrific. Nothing to add to the good advice from Glen. It's good to keep a bit of room at the leading edge for manoeuvring the skins before gluing. My experience is that the fit can be extremely tight so by doing so it will really make life a bit easier. Realistic search light at the bottom of the wing!

Regards,
Erik
Old 01-10-2021, 08:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks terrific, Dan. Nice to see our discussion from yesterday playing out so well in the assembly of the wing structure and wheel well.

That's a right smooth wing to fuselage join.

Don
Google Adsense