PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-01-2021, 01:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Looking impressive Dan. Good for the realistic effect to add a bit of exhaust and gun contrails. Please don't overdo it, you can't correct it anymore.... When I built the Hawker Hurricane I checked for pictures with clearly visible exhaust trails, just for reference. I'm sure these also exist for the Tomahawk. Used dry brushed German Grey, kind of ironically appropriate....

By the way, I learnt to fly in a Tomahawk, eh... a Piper Tomahawk . What's in a name.

Cheers,
Erik
Old 03-01-2021, 01:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Looks fantastic, great work Dan!

Greg
Old 03-02-2021, 12:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
Thank you Greg and Erik!

Grey is a great idea, Erik. Maybe you can see some of the exhaust in these shots. See what you think. I used some brown mixed with grey too.
Hmm...looking at it again, I think it needs some more grey or even some white...

Wouldn't it be cool to learn to fly in a "real" Tomahawk!!! All those Cessnas would get out of your way in a hurry... You are lucky. I've always wanted to learn how to fly. Too expensive for my pay grade!

I couldn't wait any longer so I threw caution to the wind and used a flat piece of clear plastic, carefully glued the in and out frames and installed it in the open position. Each thing I add to this machine makes it look better and better...

The front canopy will finish it off nicely.

Next post it should be all done!

Cheers,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6368.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6369.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6370.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6371.jpg   Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-img_6372.jpg  

Old 03-02-2021, 01:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
That's a fine looking canopy Dan. It brings itself into shape because you have to glue it on either side of the fuselage.
Regarding the exhaust trails, here's an example I found by googling for "curtiss tomahawk exhaust trails". The trail sort of follows the curve of the wing, something similar I saw on Hurricane pictures. It seems like the dirt trail is pretty modest, I had seen worse on certain Hurricane pictures. Likely a matter of washing the airplane more frequently?

Anyway, perhaps you could use pictures like these for inspiration.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Halinski Curtiss Tomahawk IIB: A slow but steady build-curtiss-p-40-kittyhawk-rcaf-dartmouth-pl-8346.jpg  
Old 03-02-2021, 11:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 62.27 MB
Great modelling Dan, detailing looks very impresive. The P-40 with all it's variants, offers endles opertunities of modeling.

Shalom Mor
Google Adsense