PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-24-2021, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
very nice start draco going to be a good build
Old 01-24-2021, 05:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I agree,it's coming together very nicely.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.96 GB
Yes, looking forward to the complete model.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 158.97 MB
The first fuselage is almost finished, just remain to place the upper side of the cockpit and the "chin".
Even so, I'll print this afternoon the first color fuselage, hoping that it will become the final one.
The wings and floats are being designed, but still not ready to print. The idea is to finish a b/w plane and another full color before releasing the files to ecardmodels.
There are going to be five versions, thee german, one finish and one british. I was hoping, too, to talk with the Friendship Association Aviation Museum Sola so they will be the only supplier of their 8L + FH, but they haven't answered my email :-(
I'll try again, and if not, then it will be released by ecardmodels too.
Attached Thumbnails
He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-dsc06502.jpg   He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-dsc06505.jpg  
Old 01-28-2021, 04:19 PM

Sh)(&"·"%&/!!!!
The only color cartridge I found is damaged!! Frack!!! #€~#)(%··~!!!!!
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2021, 11:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 194.90 MB
Nice work. How do you like using GIMP?
Old 01-30-2021, 02:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco View Post
Thanks, Diego!

The specific plane that I selected was involved in the attacks against the PQ-17 convoy, and because that, I'm placing the already cut parts with my Ju-88that seems to be (data is sketchy) involved in the same attack. Both are at the same 1/72 scale.

I'm dubios about including the swastica in my default model or releasing a censored plane with a free uncensored replacement.
You might find this thread about Luftwaffe losses during PQ17 operations interesting.

Seven He-115 from 1./KüFlGr 406 took part in this operation, the crew of a damaged He-115 was rescued by a pilot from the same unit, flying a He-115 with ID code K6+IH

Other units involved were LG 1, KG 26, KG 30 and KG 40
The Ju88 on your pictures has 1H+FL as code = 3./KG 26. If I'm not mistaken in 1942 I./KG 26 flew the Heinkel H-6 and not the Ju88a. There is a wellknown photo of Ju88a4-Torp or Ju88a-17 coded 1H+FL, but it was taken in 1945

Luftwaffe units involved in maritime operations painted their aircraft in RLM 65, RLM 72, RLM 73 scheme, see attached image taken from "Sea Eagles 2 - Luftwaffe Anti-Shipping Units 1942-45 (Luftwaffe Colours)"
Attached Thumbnails
He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-sea-eagles-2-luftwaffe-anti-shipping-units-1942-45-luftwaffe-colours-_011.jpg  
Old 01-30-2021, 03:55 PM

Thanks, rbakerj!
The Gimp is the little brother of the Photoshop, meaning he can do some of the amenities but not all of them. It lets you work with layers, manipulate colors and shadows, but lacks some of the facilities with curved lines, for example.
But, for a free program, it's very good.

Foute Man: Thanks for your info!
Ok, let me explain how my Ju-88 ended with the code 1H+FL. When I choose a paper model, I almost never depict the original paint. I tend to investigate and assemble the one that feels more atractive to me.
Long time ago, I had a plastic model from Italieri of the Ju-88, from Kg-26, painted with Wellenmuster (waves). Italieri, to me, has a problem: the plastic departament is very good, the documentation departament, not so much.
So I started to research this Ju-88 with waves, and couldn't find when it flew. The more near information that I could extrapolate was Kg-26, 1H-F? and the last character was guestimated as L.
Now, it's too late to change the paper model, but if you tell me that my Ju-88 with Wellenmuster camouflage used this scheme by 1945, well, let it be.

About the He 115, it's being difficult to find ink for my printer, I'm even thinking about buying a new one (Mine is a HP deskjet 1000). So I've started to design, and print, the floats.
Here, the first one can be seen with one of the test prototypes of my Stranraer, showing that the inner structure is the same. And, behind you can see the finished plane.
Attached Thumbnails
He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-dsc06520.jpg   He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-dsc06522.jpg   He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-stranraer-151-.jpg   He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-ju-88-3-.jpg  
Old 01-31-2021, 06:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 694.82 MB
I understand what you mean with the Ju88a scheme, information provided by model companies do not follow the latest insights by historians. I learned that lessons in the times I was making textures for various WW2 flight sims. However I could fix those "errors" without much effort, as I only needed to change some parts of the Photoshop template and that is a bit easier to do than changing an already built model

A very good example of insights that have changed is the scheme of the famous Do17z from 1./KG 76 during september 1940. This aircraft has often been shown in illustrations with white bars on wing and fins. However, the most recent historical theories suggest these bars painted on KG 76 aircraft weren't white, but probably pink.... And Devil as staffel (squadron) emblem was only painted on some aircraft, not all, and only for a short period in 1940

But yes, making textures was my hobby and I kept a lot of textures for myself, and just enjoyed making those textures, accurate or not. Having fun is still the most important reason to have a hobby

Wellenmuster (= wave pattern) is by definition meant as camouflage for aircraft flying anti-shipping mission and it was applied on KG 26 aircraft, as the image from the previous post shows. KG 26 probably converted to the Ju88a early 1943

For future projects I can highly recommend the forum on 12oclockhigh.net as a great source. You will find leading aviation historians\writers among the members, and they are always willing to answer any question you ask about any mission flown, by any airforce from any nation, not just the Luftwaffe

Last edited by Foute Man; 01-31-2021 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typos & grammar
Old 02-02-2021, 05:12 PM

Thanks, Foute Man!

Ok... I can't print in color, I can't refill my black cartridge (my printer's black cartridge) untill next week due to quarantine so... just advancing in the desing of the floats, wings and cockpit.
I'll have to desing everything in the computer and finally print everything at the same time. :-(
About the 8L+FH, now I'm in contact with Stein Rosengren from the Friendship Association Aviation Museum Sola and he is helping me with pictures and information to finish the plane. I'll give that version exclusively to the museum to help in the restoration of this historical dream.
Attached Thumbnails
He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-he-115-ala.jpg   He-115 Winter camo scratchbuild-he-115-float.jpg  
Google Adsense