PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-19-2021, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Further with the design of a card model of a tip tank.

I traced the segments between the bulkheads using a soft pencil as accurately as I could, holding the tracingpaper stretched over the bulkheads and held in place with clamps. One segment is now drawn and can be cut out, see pic 1.

Meanwhile, I noticed that the tracing paper could slide loose from the clamps, so I decided to cut off the oversized half shape, and wrap the tracing all around the shape, see pic 2. To hold the paper in place, I taped it on the underside. That gave a much better fix against the paper getting slack, see pic 3.

Now I need to draw all the segments and cut them out, and see what I got.
Attached Thumbnails
Super Constellation tip tank-6-tracing-paper-one-segment-outline-.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-7-segment-folded-underside.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-8-segment-folded-underside-taped-underside-.jpg  
Old 01-24-2021, 08:28 AM

I have finally traced all segments from the half shape. The final one is the nose segment, and to shape that, I used the petal method, see pic 1. I then cut out all segments and arranged them along the centerline, which is a straight line, see pic 2.
Next step is to copy the half segments and paste them mirrored to the top half, and that gives me the full tank in its parts, pic 3.
The method of Yankeekilo works, and now I have a correct model of the tip tank, based on a photograph. Thanks YK for this great idea.

Finally, I build the tiptank, in the scale of my model Super Constellation, which is 1: 67, and fitted the tank to the left wing, pic 4. On the right wing is the original tank, which now seems less accurate in shape.

I am very pleased with the way this method works. It requires some attention to trace the segments on the half model accuratly and you will need a photo programme to manipulate the scans of the segments. I can say, that I will undoubtedly use this method by Yankeekilo more often, when scratch building aircraft of which no models are available.
Attached Thumbnails
Super Constellation tip tank-9-tank-nose-petals.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-10-half-segments-line.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-11-full-segments-doubled.jpg   Super Constellation tip tank-tank-left-wing.jpg  
Old 01-24-2021, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Mooie collectie KLM-vliegtuigen!
Kan je meer vertellen over de herkomst ervan?

Nice collection of KLM aircraft! Can you tell us more about its origin?

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.25 MB
WOW! What an incredible collection of beautifully crafted airliners ! Bravo
Old 01-24-2021, 02:50 PM

The other models are all Veritas (check Scaldis on the internet) or Emsco models (check Zeist Bouwplaten), build with the method of silver paper undersides as shown in the DC-7C build thread (check my avatar, statistics, DC 7C). Thanks for the compliments, but don't you like the tip tank?
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2021, 05:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
... Thanks for the compliments, but don't you like the tip tank?
I am following your "road to succes". It's the old handwork!
If I remember well the old Veritas Constallation had them, later not anymore, right?
I build the all once... over 50 years ago!

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 01-24-2021, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
very good job with the tip tank

YOAV